Is a little water in the bilge okay?

Mar 21, 2024
Skeeter 185 Clinton
A Catalina 310 I’m looking at has water in the what I call the main bilge, just above the keel. The boat has had a previous Catalina Smile/Keel damage due to a hurricane when the boat was pushed into/onto a shallow flat. The boat was on its keel and side so caused a Catalina Smile/Keel damage. It was repaired and supposedly is good to go. That was about 4 years ago. I've read and been told that the Catalina is a "web bilge" boat... The water level is 1-2 inches, just in the very bottom, and is stagnant like it’s been there awhile. Water color is a very dark brown. I failed to get pictures so I can’t share. The keel bolts were not corroded and just looked a dark gray. There were three bilge pumps in the bilge area. Stains on the side of the bilge seemed to indicated the water level was consistent and had been there awhile The overall condition of the boat is immaculate so I was thinking it’s most likely water that has just draining into the bilge over time and just sat there as it’s below the level to trigger the bilge pumps. Other areas under the floor looked really clean. I’d eat off the floor under the engine. Thoughts? Any way to tell if this is a problem or if it’s just a small pool from whatever?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I do not believe the Catalina smile is caused by a hurricane and grounding. The smile is due to water in the bilge that softens the plywood that the keel hangs from using the keel bolts. In later years,1988 onwards, catalina did not use plywood in that location. What year is your c310? The stagnant water is not a problem. Clean it and go for a sea trial. Is it kept in water? Come back and check for water in the bilge a week later. You will have your answer.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 36mkII Alameda, CA
Per: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Catalina 310 is an American sailboat, that was designed by Gerry Douglas and first built in 1999.
It may not have wood in the keel stub.
I believe you stated the keel was repaired and supposedly is good to go?
It could be keel bolts leaking but I would guess that there would be more water in the bilge unless the bilge pumps keep pumping it out.
I would follow Sail Le Vie's advice, Clean it and go for a sea trial and come back and check for water in the bilge later.
You may only have a leaking packing gland or rain/washdown water draining down.
Good luck.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Or...
You could climb into the boat with the broker. Look in the bilge. Gag a little.:yikes: Comment at how the boat must have been sunk and is likely seriously damaged.:thumbsdown:
Offer a ridiculously low ball price to just to get this mess of a boat out of his marina. :banghead:
See if he goes for it.:biggrin:

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
You don't indicate if the boat is in the water or on the hard which makes it difficult to diagnose

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A "wet bilge" is not normal unless there is a reason for it. Ask for explanation and then do whatever verification makes you comfortable. I never know for sure when I will return to the boat and find a dry bilge. There are just too many variables. A few days ago I found half-inch of water in the bilge because we didn't tighten down the starboard side ports and the drenching rain came in. At least I knew the reason because the cushions were wet under the port lights. Condensate from the reverse cycle drains to my bilge. I have a troublesome water line leak from the bow water tank lines. The refrigerator drains to the bilge. So far, I've never seen a sign that the PSS gland leaks - so that's comforting. In the winter, it seems that condensation often leaves water in the bilge. I had a boat in the past that leaked around the exhaust port when it was squatted underwater. I could not resolve it completely but at least I knew about it.

But, I would never accept a <simple> explanation that a "wet bilge" is normal. If there is water in the bilge, the owner did a poor job of cleaning his boat after an infrequent occurence OR there is an explanation that he isn't telling you. If he doesn't know the source (and says so), at least I would be sympathetic to the difficulty in correcting the issue and possibly give him at least a pass for being honest.

What you accept, though, is up to you. No used, 20-year old boat is going to be perfect.

Oct 26, 2008
BTW, the "Catalina smile" doesn't apply to the boat you are looking at. It was only an issue with much older Catalinas. If water in the bilge is related to leakage around the keel, I would steer clear for sure. I would only be interested in the boat if I was very proficient in keel repairs. If it's not something you could handle on your own, the boat will never be worth the repair cost at retail prices.

If the water is related to various above water-line leaks, say around windows or deck fittings, that's something you should be able to manage and possibly resolve. But get a good report on the deck moisture, it that's the case. Just about any used boat will have some persistent leaks around the deck. But it takes a fair amount of water leakage to leave an inch of water in the bilge. I rarely find water in the bilge due to rain events even though I know a few spots that occasionally drip during a hard rain. It takes an open window to cause what I found recently. :banghead:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Also, I'm curious about 3 bilge pumps. Three electric bilge pumps or 2 electric and 1 manual? My Catalina has just one electric bilge pump and one manual bilge pump that is worked from the cockpit. Is there a better explanation for the 3? I think it may be a little unusual and I suspect not factory installed. I'm sure Catalina installed the manual pump - I'm curious if you include that in the 3 that you count.

I'll agree that a primary and secondary electric bilge pump is a very good installation. Did the owner install an auxiliary bilge pump? Did he do it for a reason other than redundancy?