Is a interior mast pole done at this stage?

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Suppose this boat has been sitting with water in for a year. Does the interior mast pole need replacing? I'm thinking this pole connects the deck mast the the keel correct? This is the second boat I've seen with the interior mast sitting in water. Is this a "back away from this one" scenario?

Attachments

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Most here would tell you to run fast and run far. Having done this repair myself ,I suggest asking your self ,would you rather sail or spend a couple of months fixing it properly ? The work itself isn't particularly hard . The mast support post must be measured very carefully .

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The proper name is a Mast Compression Post. :)

Whether this is a boat for you depends on a couple of things. Is the price right? Do you have the wood working skills to replace the interior of the boat?

The bulkheads will likely need replacing along with the Mast Compression post. One has to wonder about the rest of his maintenance if there is that much water in the boat.

The right price for this boat is a bit less than he'd pay to have it cut up and put in the landfill. That would be the amount he pays you. :)

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Does the interior mast pole need replacing?
Yes.

Does the interior mast pole need replacing?
Yes.

I would suggest you visit a youtube of someone who has bought a boat with the plan of fixing her quickly and cheaply.

Then someone who is doing it slowly and expensively

One question I have is, How much of the engine and electricals have been submerged?

gary

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Great thoughts and correct names, thank you. I hadn't even thought of electrical issues. Dang.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Its a very simple formula.
Would you be happier spending months working on a boat than sailing a more expensive one in better condition and spending more in the long run? Because if you buy the project boat you most certainly will.
Not to be rude, but if you don't even know the names of the parts of a boat, how can you consider yourself qualified to be a boat builder? A boat builder is to a carpenter what a spackler is to a paver.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
A more challenging fix it the path (s) the water took to fill the boat. Deck and core damage. Run!