Is 27ft oday worth fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2010
oday 27 Kingston Ontario
Hello. I am a newbie to the site as well as a newbie sailer and boat owner. I have always wanted to sail and a few years ago I finally broke down and took lessons. I learned on a 24ft Shark. Being busy with three kids I let the sailing go although I purchased a 13ft cottage sailer. A friend of a friend came across an abandoned 1974 oday 27 that he wanted $1500 for. I couldn't see how I could go wrong. The Vire 7 engine runs. All of the rigging is there. Came on a craddle and I now have it in my yard. I was 44 years old and I told my wife even if it sits in the yard and I just dream it is worth the price. I am now 46 years old and have decided that life is too short and want to fix it up. It needs a lot of deck work (delamination due to water damage) and the rudder needs to be rebuilt. The interior needs work but nothing that I couldn't do myself. The main concern for me was to make sure that it was safe to sail. I have a price of approx. $7500 Can to repair the entire hull and I am getting another estimate next week. I have wondered if I should just buy a boat that is already to go but figured that I might just buy something that may end up needing work as well. Figure once that is hull is done I will know what I have.

any thoughts
I have kinda become attached to this boat.....may have already made up my mind.

there is a 1970 Bristol that "has nothing wrong with it" for $8000

Thanks to all for any comments

Glenn

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
attention Glenn

Hello. I am a newbie to the site as well as a newbie sailer and boat owner. I have always wanted to sail and a few years ago I finally broke down and took lessons. I learned on a 24ft Shark. Being busy with three kids I let the sailing go although I purchased a 13ft cottage sailer. A friend of a friend came across an abandoned 1974 oday 27 that he wanted $1500 for. I couldn't see how I could go wrong. The Vire 7 engine runs. All of the rigging is there. Came on a craddle and I now have it in my yard. I was 44 years old and I told my wife even if it sits in the yard and I just dream it is worth the price. I am now 46 years old and have decided that life is too short and want to fix it up. It needs a lot of deck work (delamination due to water damage) and the rudder needs to be rebuilt. The interior needs work but nothing that I couldn't do myself. The main concern for me was to make sure that it was safe to sail. I have a price of approx. $7500 Can to repair the entire hull and I am getting another estimate next week. I have wondered if I should just buy a boat that is already to go but figured that I might just buy something that may end up needing work as well. Figure once that is hull is done I will know what I have.

any thoughts
I have kinda become attached to this boat.....may have already made up my mind.

there is a 1970 Bristol that "has nothing wrong with it" for $8000

Thanks to all for any comments

Glenn
Glenn,

Since you have waited so long, my suggestion is to wait just a little longer (weeks or months).

On fixing an O'Day 27 you must remember that it is a very old boat to start. Having someone else fix it costs more that you would ever recover.

What is chance of you fixing yourself? All problems with these old boats can be fixed. The biggest cost is labor and time. The materials to fix are within reason.

You mentioned delamination of deck. There are several ways to repair delamination and if you are capable, might be within reason.

There are more sailors out their who have repaired these boats who might offer advice. But you are probably on wrong forum. Go to the O'Day owners forum and post your question again. The 27 is closely related to the early 23 and 25 and their comments would be worth investigating.

In fact search archives for more information.

My first reaction is you have the boat already in your backyard. Cover it and work under cover, tarp. Even in cold temperatures much work can be done. And epoxies that work in colder temperatures can be had.

For example see:
http://www.epoxyusa.com/
and its convoluted sister site:
http://epoxyproducts.com/

Even if you buy one of the alledged boats that do not need repair, I guarentee that they also need repar. Do not believe everything you are told about 'ready to sail boats'.

The only sailboat that does not need your repairing it is brand new where the dealer guarentees repairs for some time.

Ed K

Attachments

Feb 11, 2010
oday 27 Kingston Ontario
no time

Thanks for the reply. I am at a point in my life where I really don't have the time to take on fixing it myself. I really don't mind spending the money if it is worth it. I have three kids and am studying to get my 2nd Class Operation Engineers Certificate. My time seems to be my most valuable asset right now.
i just don't have the big bucks to buy a boat that is "ready to sale" and like you say if I by one that is $10-$20 thousand it will probably still need fixin. So i figured since I don't have much into this boat that if i spent $10 thousand tops on making it "good to go" then I would have something that I was sure of.

Thanks again
Glenn

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Not really

Hello,

IMHO, unless you have a lot of time, the boat is not worth fixing. If I were you, I would get rid of that boat and buy something smaller that is ready to sail. You can get good 20-25' boats, ready to be sailed right now, for $3000. You should be able to get a decent O'day 22, 23, 222 for that money, with decent sails, outboard engine, and maybe even a trailer. Same thing with Catalina 22's and a number of other boats.

Buy something old, small, cheap, and in good condition. Sail it a lot, and then see what you want to do next.

I started with a Catalina 22. Sailed it for a year. Fell in love with sailing. I wanted something bigger, so that my family of 5 could spend nights aboard. So after a year I sold the catalina and moved up to a Newport 28. My first 'big boat' with inboard diesel engine, pressure hot and cold water, wheel steering, self tailing winches, marine head and shower, etc. That was was a lot of fun but I wanted something with more room, so we would spend a few days aboard. My O'day 35 fit the bill for that. 2010 will be my 4th season with her.

Good luck,
Barry

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
My thoughts.....A: look for another 27 Oday and salvage parts from the older one, deck work can be costly and also what else below the decks need attention so you might be opening Pandora's box
B: keep looking for another boat like a Catalina or a Hunter in about the same size, you didn't indicate what size Bristol but 8k for a 1970 seems high and due to the economy there are lots of boats in he great lakes area for a song and a dance

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Thanks for the reply. I am at a point in my life where I really don't have the time to take on fixing it myself. I really don't mind spending the money if it is worth it. I have three kids and am studying to get my 2nd Class Operation Engineers Certificate. My time seems to be my most valuable asset right now.
i just don't have the big bucks to buy a boat that is "ready to sale" and like you say if I by one that is $10-$20 thousand it will probably still need fixin. So i figured since I don't have much into this boat that if i spent $10 thousand tops on making it "good to go" then I would have something that I was sure of.

Thanks again
Glenn
If you do not have alot of free time to rebuild a boat then you gotta figure out what you want. For me, I wanted a boat to spend the weekend in on a lake in North Al. So i have invested all my interest in the interior.
For you, it might be to sail and interact with the wind to move about., so you will want to focus on that. ....but
if you are going to have a boat of any size, it is going to require alot of maintainence. The smaller or newer the boat, the less the work and cash required.
But of course that goes without saying. I guess what i want to say is that these old boats reaquire alot of time a bit of money but they are alot of fun

May 9, 2006
Catalina 42 MKII SF Bay
Why not?

I have an O27 that I did just that. the interior was partially gutted but the hull was intact, the engine had a rebuilt yanmar and the rudder was replaced with a D&R marine replacement before I bought her. I did everything else: running and standing rigging, sails, roller furler, interior cushions, chain plates and backing plate for lower shroud chain plates, spinnaker gear, electrical, major clean up and the boat is now a great racer cruiser here in the SF bay. Once you are done you will have a nice boat that sails great that you can be proud of. I would first replace your rudder, check out the D&R Marine web site, they still have them with the upgraded stainless steel shaft. Take a good look at the standing rigging or just replace it before you load it up. I almost lost my mast the first race I entered because it was the original rigging and it parted at the swedge at the top of the mast. Clean it up and take it for a sail. then once you she how she performs, start doing the projects as needed. I took 7 years to get my boat where she is today and it is almost done. But I was sailing her since I bought her. Now I am looking at a Catalina 42 but that is another story.... Good luck with which ever tack you take.
Dave O.
Slipaway
Oday27

Feb 11, 2010
oday 27 Kingston Ontario
My thoughts.....A: look for another 27 Oday and salvage parts from the older one, deck work can be costly and also what else below the decks need attention so you might be opening Pandora's box
B: keep looking for another boat like a Catalina or a Hunter in about the same size, you didn't indicate what size Bristol but 8k for a 1970 seems high and due to the economy there are lots of boats in he great lakes area for a song and a dance

The Bristol is 29 foot and the ad says " there is absolutely nothing wrong with this boat we are just upsizing" And I realize that there are a lot of boats forsale but I figure thay may or may not need work as well and at least with my Oday i will know what i have when it is fixed up and the price was right. As long as this model is worth it.

Feb 11, 2010
oday 27 Kingston Ontario
I have an O27 that I did just that. the interior was partially gutted but the hull was intact, the engine had a rebuilt yanmar and the rudder was replaced with a D&R marine replacement before I bought her. I did everything else: running and standing rigging, sails, roller furler, interior cushions, chain plates and backing plate for lower shroud chain plates, spinnaker gear, electrical, major clean up and the boat is now a great racer cruiser here in the SF bay. Once you are done you will have a nice boat that sails great that you can be proud of. I would first replace your rudder, check out the D&R Marine web site, they still have them with the upgraded stainless steel shaft. Take a good look at the standing rigging or just replace it before you load it up. I almost lost my mast the first race I entered because it was the original rigging and it parted at the swedge at the top of the mast. Clean it up and take it for a sail. then once you she how she performs, start doing the projects as needed. I took 7 years to get my boat where she is today and it is almost done. But I was sailing her since I bought her. Now I am looking at a Catalina 42 but that is another story.... Good luck with which ever tack you take.
Dave O.
Slipaway
Oday27

Yes I feel the same. I will probably never upgrade so I want the boat to be solid but can't afford to buy a newer one and don't know enough or have the time to find a solid boat that is in my price range. I won't be putting her in the water until she is all ready to go. Hopefully next summer. Will get my 83 year old father to help me with te interior( he is proably i better health that I am) so thatwill be cool. That is if I don't change my mind. I am not stupid and i do see how buying one that is ready to go could be great too.

Thanks all for your advice
Glenn

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
You have to find the work almost as interesting as the sailing for the boat you have. Paying someone else to do the majority of the work will probably not be cost effective. Even with doing most of the work yourself, it is likely to be a loss. Most brokers can tell you the asking prices and selling prices of almost any boat for a given amout of time. They are more likely to give you the selling prices if you are showing interest in buying a boat. My guess is that you will have a boat that you will care a lot about when it is done especially if you do much of the work yourself. To think that you will break even may be a stretch.

Feb 11, 2010
oday 27 Kingston Ontario
looking at 1970 Bristol 29

I called the guy with the Bristol forsale. Figure I should be looking at boats that don't need extensive work like my oday. He says that she is very sound and has brand new sails along with other stuff. Says the sails alone cost him $5000. Has new paint as well. The atomic four has been removed by him as he doesn't trust the gas engine with an inverted carburator below deck. Had it fitted with an outboard-custom bracket. I told him my story about my Oday being delaminated and he says that the Bristol is "solid" fiberglass with no core in the deck. I searched the internet but I can't find that anywhere. He is selling because he is 6foot 3 and needs more head room. Has purchased a 36 foot boat.
He sounds nice on the phone (nieve am I I know) and says that I need to be sure that this boat is fits me before purchasing any boat. I am going to see it on monday.
Without paying for a surveyor everytime does anyone have any advice when looking.

Price is $8000 Can
Says he paid $7000 for it last year and put $8000 into it

Thanks for any help on this

Status
Not open for further replies.