Is 11 HP too little for a 30?

Mar 5, 2018
Tanzer 26 Ottawa
I am looking at a 1980 Catalina 30 Tall Rig that is for sale, and I have a question about the inboard engine. It has an 11 HP Universal 5411, with a Direct Drive and 2-blade propeller.

Is 11 HP enough? Most other boats I've looked at in the 30' range have had 20 to 30 HP.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
A tad wimpy IMHO. Might get you around on a nice calm day but I don't think it will perform well when you really need it.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
As Justin said, too small.

We once owned an Erickson 27 with a 5411 and it struggled to make 2.5 knots under power upwind.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Had a E-28+ with a 5411 and 2- blade prop. Drove the boat to hull speed in calm water, not so good against a stiff chop and breeze. If you sail where there are lots of tide or current you may find it under powered. A 3-blade prop would help as well but more drag.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
It seems that in the seventies and eighties, manufacturers like Hunter and Catalina grossly under-powered their vessels. My '77h 30 originally came with a one cylinder Yanmar 12 hp diesel. Could not get out of its' way in any kind of strong headwind or current. Replaced with a Yanmar 3YM20 rated at 21 hp at 3600 rpm. Big, big difference.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
My 1983 Hunter 31 has a 2 cylinder Yanmar 2gm 13 HP pushes her at hull speed.

Mar 5, 2018
Tanzer 26 Ottawa
Thanks for the replies.

It was my thinking that the existing engine is too small. Perhaps I could upgrade the engine, if the boat is otherwise looking good.

The current owners sail the boat on Lake Ontario. I would most likely be sailing it on the Ottawa River.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My thought is that if you have to go against a current, you'll want more umph!

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Dave,
I have a 1980 C30 that had the 5411.
The Thinking back then, was 2HP per TON for power.
You have a C30 figure on 6.5 tons incl. water, supplies etc. etc.
Divide 11 HP (max RPM) just @ the flywheel by 2 tons per foot & guess what,
You are SOO GREATLY underpowered.

Then you have to take in the HP drop from the
flywheel to the prop. At full RPM's I was around 5-6 HP
at the prop. And, this also changes depending on prop size & pitch.
That was REALLY a dumb formula back then.

My 5411 couldn't get out of it's own way, let alone in winds & seas.
I replaced it with a 3M20A & never looked back. I can power along with the best now.
Of course, the correct prop & pitch can make a big difference also.

Best decision I ever made & the footprint is close enough to install with your stringers!
I even designed & had made S.S. transitional adapters from the stringers to the motor mounts
I have the drawings for the motor mount transition pieces if you wish.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
If you are on a lake, you are fine. On the river, it depends how fast the river is, of course. I would focus on other projects first and leave the engine replacement for later. I had a H31 powered by the 13-hp 2GMF and it was doing 6.2 knots, in typical conditions. Then I repowered and thought hard between a new 12 hp Yanmar or an older 16 hp Yanmar. I went with the more powerful option and my top speed is now 6.8 knots, pretty much hull speed, in typical conditions. Not a big difference. It helps in heavy seas and strong winds but not essential. One downside of the more powerful engine is that my minimum speed is now 2.5 knots. A little too fast for my liking :).

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It all depends on the prevalent winds and currents in your sailing area and your intended use for the boat. Some use the auxiliary engine just to get to sailing waters and others use it to maintain a desired course no matter wind direction.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Dave Isaacs like others have identified, the motor would not be enough power in certain situations.

It really depends on where you are planning to use the boat. Running a boat in a river with currents, against a tidal current, in a seaway against the wind, you need to have the power to get where you intend.

In and out of a marina in a somewhat sheltered location in moderate breezes to raise the sails and depend on the sails for your power, then it might be just fine. Many boat owners think direct path is the best, so we point a boat where we want to go and go. If the wind is not cooperating we call it motor sailing and wind the sail up and fire up the “iron genny”.

Remember it is a sail boat and for centuries folks sailed where they wanted to go. Sometimes the wind favored the route. Other times you had to tack back and forth up wind. You still got there just not directly.

It will be you boat and so you need to decide how and where you want to use your boat. Then buy a boat that meets those needs.

Of course I share this bit of wisdom having bought a 17,000 lb boat with a 47 HP Perkins and I’m installing a new prop which I hope will improve my power performance. For me it fits the nature of the cruising I do up here in the Pacific NW where the currents are strong and demand the Captain have a strong sphincter as the whirlpools try to wrestle the helm from your hands.

Feb 13, 2018
Hunter 41DS Anacortes, WA
We had a Catalina 310 with a 26 HP Universal in the Puget Sound and we were at the whim of the current many times. Really had to check the current charts because at full throttle just was not enough to push through the heavy current at times. Depends on where you are sailing he.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
We had a Catalina 310 with a 26 HP Universal in the Puget Sound and we were at the whim of the current many times. Really had to check the current charts because at full throttle just was not enough to push through the heavy current at times. Depends on where you are sailing he.
Quite true but it's all about the one thing over which we have no control - the weather. Trying to sail off a lee shore with an 11HP motor for help is usually futile

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
bought a cal 20 for my kids, when they were young, to learn to sail without me. came with a 7hp engine. first thing i did was yank the engine and buy brand new sails for it. its never been but back on board. they can sail any where today.
you want a sailboat or a motor sailor.

choices, ain't it fun :)