Is 11 HP Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce

I am interested in purchasing a 1983 catalina 30 with an 11 Hp diesel. Do you think an 11 HP dirsel is enough to power the boat in the waters around Long Island?

B

Bob

Marginal but OK

I have a 1981 C-30 with the 11 hp Diesel. It could use more power, but I don't have any trouble cruising under power at about 5.9 knots in slack water. I sail in the SF Bay and Delta area. I was unsure and had read a lot about the 11 hp being underpowered but when I found my boat it was in such good condition at a fair price that I couldn't pass it up. The more powerful engine is in newer boats at higher prices except for the Atomic 4 gas. I'd choose the 11 hp Diesel over gas.

M

Mark Gale

Weak

I sail an '83 with a 21hp diesel and was advised by my surveyor not to go with a C30 that had less. They say you won't make much headway in wind and waves with the smaller engine. If you get it, be sure to pay less than comparable boats with the larger engine.

M

Mark Johnson

Had one

I had a 1983 30 with the 11 hp diesel. Don't expect to go anywhere fast in a head sea. No wind, no tide, no waves it was OK. MPJ

R

Richard

Seems low

I have the atomic 4 (no it has not blown up and i have had atomic 4s in my past two catalinas1). It is rated at 30HP, though it never achieves all 30. I am able to cruise above 6 Knots if I desire and most of all it has some reserve for those times when you really need it. I can't recommend only 11 HP. Richard

B

Bob

not enough

I had an 11 on my 27 Catalina on L.I. sound. After build up of growth and barnacles common to the area in the summer (especially barnacles on the prop...and painting the prop is kind of useless) the boat had a hard time making 4 knots in the calmest water. If you like constant bottom and prop cleaning go for it. I think the 30 is about 3400 lbs more than the 27 which is about 6800.

J

James

Anemic

The Universal model 5411 is a very smooth running, reliable diesel. It just doesn't belong in a Catalina 30, and the offering was discontinued after 2 years. I believe the 5411 was available in 1981 and 1982. By 1983 the model 20 was standard, with the 25 being the preferred power plant. It produces maximum torque at the upper end of its power curve. If you take into account the HP required to spin the alternator, and mechanical losses to the shaft and transmission, you're likely realising 5 or 6 HP at the prop at cruising rpm. Had one. In a stiff headwind it just wouldn't power the boat more that 2 to 3 knots.

S

Steve W

too slow

I have the 14hp Universal in my 1986 Newport and it cruises at 5.5 knots and will exceed 6 knots wide open. A sailing buddy has the 11hp in a C30 and his biggest gripe is dealing with currents when docking and that he can't keep up when a bunch of us motor somewhere together. Prop changes have not helped either. Also, it will be hard to get rid of when the time comes. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.