Irwin Citation 30 (1980)

Aug 13, 2017
Irwin 1980 Citation 30 Fort Lauderdale
Hello everyone, Noobie here. I just purchased the boat for Live Aboard. It needs some work and upgrades but seems like a solid sailboat. I was wondering if there is a Manual I can get for the boat and a service schedule/maintenance list I should do first thing.

Thank you

Aug 13, 2017
Irwin 1980 Citation 30 Fort Lauderdale
Hi, I would really appreciate your help here. I did 2 "sea trials" and feel pretty confident, I was on sails for most of it and was ranging from 4 to 6.5 knots most of the times.

I still have a couple of things I would like to review before the 10-hour trip I have to do from Homestead to Fort Lauderdale.

The Motor is a Yanmar 2GM20F and I would like to do an oil change before the trip, even though I'm hoping to be sailing for the most part. I saw the previous owner left an oil bottle of Sierra Premium Blend (formulated for outboard engines) 4-stroke engine oil. SAE 10W-30. Should I use the same or other recommendations?

As for the Transmission, should I check/replace any fluids?

Thank you all and sorry for the Noobie questions. I'm a fast lerner though.

Cheers

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Mazzimo. We have all been there. First. If you are sailing you do not need to do anything to the engine. But. If your going to run the engine it is a cheap cost to establish the start data for your fluid changes in the future. I changed all fluids and filters when I took ownership of my boat. Then I started a record. Now I know the history.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
An operator's manual for your engine should be easily located online. As to oil recommendations, check the manual, or call up your local Yanmar dealer and ask them for recommendations. Note that you will likely not get all the oil out of the engine, even when changing the filter. Also note that new oil turns black almost instantly in a diesel. Don't let that bother you.

Sep 14, 2023
Irwin Citation 30 Naples
Hello everyone,
I am a first time boat buyer looking at a 1980 Irwin 30; what should I look for?

Thank you

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello. Welcome to SBO. I am to understand you sailed aboard a 46 and now you want your own boat.

Simple reply. You need to look at everything. Sails, engine, plumbing, condition of the decks, electrical systems, smells etc. it is a 43 year old boat. Unless you just won the lottery you will need money to fix what is broken. If the boat is cheap or free, likely a lot of money. Then you’re going to need a place to keep it. More money.

But the dream of sailing is a powerful aphrodisiac. So I suggest your hire a surveyor to help you determine if the boat is safe for what you want to do with the boat.

The surveyor will help to assure you the boat is living up to the primary purpose. Keep the water outside of the boat!

Good luck.