Irwin Citation (1979) 34' Refurbish questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2011
beneteau First375 atlantic highlands
Hi ,
I am refurbishing my 1979 34' Irwin. I have some questions that perhaps some Irwin owner(s) can provide some guidance:

1. Diesel Fuel Tank
I removed the diesel fuel tank lid to clean out the tank. In so doing, I now need to replace the lid and seal it. There was some type of gasket that was used between the lid cover and the tank. The lid was constructed of 3/4" plywood encased in fiber glass. I purchased a good grade of 3/4" exterior plywood and fashioned a new cover, which I plan on encasing with fiberglass cloth and resin. I have been unsuccessful in locating a replacement gasket. Does anyone know where I might obtain a gasket? My backup plan is to use 3M 5200 sealant, if I am unable to find a gasket. Is that a viable option?

2. Engine upgrade
My Irwin is currently equipped with a 20 HP Yanmar diesel engine. I removed the engine from the boat for general maintenance, replacement of a defective water pump and repair of a broken oil line. I am considering upgrading to a larger diesel engine, perhaps a 30 HP diesel, if I can find a good used one. Does anyone know where I might look for an engine and also for a water pump and oil line?

3. Floor replacement
I am also replacing the flooring and thought that I would use teak or a synthetic material. Does anyone have an experience with flooring materials?

Any help with answers to the above would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Tony:)

Feb 23, 2009
2 Citation 34 Fredericton, NB, CAN
I am refurbishing my 1979 34' Irwin. I have some questions that perhaps some Irwin owner(s) can provide some guidance:

1. Diesel Fuel Tank
I removed the diesel fuel tank lid to clean out the tank. In so doing, I now need to replace the lid and seal it...

Ours has an aluminum fuel tank. Make sure to install inspection / clean out ports when you rebuild. Look at the inspection ports I put on ours:

http://irwincitation34.wikispaces.com/Fuel+System+Upgrades

2. Engine upgrade
My Irwin is currently equipped with a 20 HP Yanmar diesel engine.

Our Yanmar 2QM20H runs fine. They were one of the best Yanmar built. Unless it is faulty, I would not recommend replacing it. Lots of power and very reliable

3. Floor replacement
I am also replacing the flooring and thought that I would use teak or a synthetic material. Does anyone have an experience with flooring materials?

Teak and Holly sole plywood is not cheap but sure does look nice - If we were to replace ours we would go with that.

Any help with answers to the above would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Tony:)

Please take a look at our IC34 wiki. We got ours just three years ago and have done MANY upgrades. Look at the wiki and please get in touch. I have a kazillion pictures.

Rik, Linda and Captain Hook

Status
Not open for further replies.