irwin 43

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
Hello All.... I am looking at an Irwin 43' aft cockpit staysail ketch sailboat... with the idea to possibly purchase it... I was told by an exemployee of Irwin Yachts that they only made 3 of this model and interior makeup... this particular design was not offered beyond '77 .... it was not popular enough... for an aft cockpit it has 2 staterooms, 2 bathrooms, and a U shaped galley ... With the center board up it draws 4'-3", down 9' even... I have not found any layout for it online, but the exemployee was able to send me the layout design... it is a very comfortable looking sailboat and I would be happy with it.... what I am seeking is does anyone have any knowledge of the sailing characteristics ?... how well it points into the wind ?... how fast it sails ?... are there any known characteristic problems with this boat ?... are there any concerns with this model of sailboat ?.... I am awaiting any information... sincerely Jess

Dec 7, 2012
well... I didn't get any replies, but that is ok.... I took the plunge, had the boat checked out, and I put down a deposit on it... it looks great for a boat of it's age.... I will be on it at the end of the month... I plan to sail it south to the keys and then back up to the Tampa area in the 1st or 2nd week or march... my wife and I are excited by this rare find.... to think they only made 3 of this model, because no one likes the layout inside it... go figure.... I think it is a wonderful layout.... look forward to hearing from anyone out there who has an Irwin in the 40 to 45 ft range.... wondering how they sail and handle under sail ????? how well they point into the wind ????? how reliable the perkins 4-154 diesel is ????

thanks all

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
Just saw your question. I had a 1984 Irwin 4 CC ketch from 1999-2006. I lived aboard on the Chesapeake Bay and took the boat to the Bahamas twice. One time down the ICW to Fl and then to the Bahamas. 2nd time was offshore from North Carolina to the Bahamas. Good liveaboard with lots of room. Pointed into the wind reasonable well. I never lowed the centerboard as the centerboard line made 3 90% turns and I was not comfortable with the integrity of that system. Lived in fear that the line would part or the line would pull off the thru hull fitting. The Perkins 4154 was a very reliable and robust engine. Boat would cruise under power at 6 kts using 3/4 gallons per hour. The major problem was with the fuel tanks. There were two 75 gallon tanks under the cabin sole. The tanks were installed during construction and could not be maintained or inspected. Water in the bilge would flow under the tanks. After 20 years (2004) both tanks (they were aluminum) had pitted. Pressure testing showed the tanks were leaking. It was a major job to replace the tanks. It involved cutting thru up the cabin sole to remove the old tanks. I had new tanks fabricated and installed. The install allowed for the tanks to be inspected and easily replaced. The new tanks were aluminum with epoxy applied to the outside. A major expense was to replace the cabin sole. Boat bottom was solid, no blisters.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all.... is there any exemployees of Irwin yachts from 1977 that I can talk to, who might have worked on the sailboat I am looking forward to buying.... this particular interior layout and hull are not listed anyplace.... I did find out they only made 3 sailboats of this design... thanks

Dec 7, 2012
hello all .... just got back from my vacation... spent 2 weeks on my Irwin 43ft staysail ketch sailboat... my wife and I loved our time on it... didn't do much sailing as most of the prevailing winds were out of the south, and we her headed south... we did get the sails up a couple of times and it performed great... we didn't make the whole trip distance we wanted to... we spent some time at several locations enjoying the festivities and sites.... my friend came over and took control of my boat and finished taking to the marina where it will be kept... we had a wonderful time.... the money I spent to buy the Irwin was well worth it... a great boat...

Oct 8, 2020
Oday 28 Annapolis
Hello, I realize this is a very old thread, however, I'm currently looking at an Irwin 41 CC Ketch in Maryland 1983 or 1984 that has a leaking fuel tank issue. According to the yard they replaced the starboard tank under the salon sole several years ago and now apparently the port tank is leaking. My understanding is the amount of effort and cost to remove and replace this tank inclusive of cutting out and replacing the salon sole can be substantial. The boat has otherwise enjoyed a good history of maintenance and upgrades over the years with all new running and standing rigging on both masts, updated electronics, new Air Cond/Heat unit, brand new Stainless Polished Davit System and the list goes on. She does need a new water heater, that's easy and has the reliable Perkins 4 154. Seems to run good and I couldn't see any real oil leaks surprisingly even at the rear main seal. So my question is what in everyone's opinion is a reasonable cost for this undertaking ( the removal and replacement of the tank). I see a poster on this thread has done this on a 43 and I think it's safe to say this is a very similar install....Secondary to the leak the smell of diesel is strong...very strong....inside the boat. How hard is it to get the smell out once the source is removed and replaced.....I've seen several recipes but have never had to really deal with this issue. Mattresses, curtains, cushions, etc.... would hope that there is a solution to the soft goods but don't know for sure. And of course a full prepurchase survey would be done but at this stage I'm focusing on the above issues to decide if it's worth pursuing. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to everyones response.....My Best, Scott.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
well... I didn't get any replies, but that is ok.... I took the plunge, had the boat checked out, and I put down a deposit on it... it looks great for a boat of it's age.... I will be on it at the end of the month... I plan to sail it south to the keys and then back up to the Tampa area in the 1st or 2nd week or march... my wife and I are excited by this rare find.... to think they only made 3 of this model, because no one likes the layout inside it... go figure.... I think it is a wonderful layout.... look forward to hearing from anyone out there who has an Irwin in the 40 to 45 ft range.... wondering how they sail and handle under sail ????? how well they point into the wind ????? how reliable the perkins 4-154 diesel is ????

thanks all
Well, If your information is right (they built 3 of these),:the odds aren’t good that anyone has experience with the design
:poop:

Sorry,

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Scott. The Irwin 41 is a solid built boat from the early 80’s are you sure it is the Irwin 41 not the Irwin 41 Citation?

Boats of this era have all the normal concerns. You mentioned some of the expected replacement issues. Check the hull and deck for soft spots. Expect the boat has been grounded and inspect the hull and rudder for abnormal signs. A survey would be appropriate.

May 19, 2021
C&C 35mk2 Cherry Point
Irwin 43 related. My wife and I are looking to upgrade to a 43 mk 3 my concern is head room, I'm 6'2" and would like to walk upright through saloon.