Irwin 28 swing keel broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2011
Irwin 28 Edgewatwer
The swing keel on my irwin 28 has disconnected from the delrin rod does anyone know of a fix short of hauling out the boat.also the centerboard winch is missing and i'm trying to find out where it should be located.

Nov 8, 2010
Ericson 29 Grand Lake, OK
Well Don, as they say there is good news and bad news. Good news; standing in your cockpit if you look down and to starboard (right below and forward) where the locker is on that side you will see the holes for the winch. open the locker and stick your head in and you should see it.(or where it should be to be more accurate).
Bad news; haul it to fix the rod is (in my experience) the only way to properly and safely reconnect the delrin rod.
hope this helps.

Jun 15, 2010
Hunter 28.5 Cape Coral
For what it's worth - I sailed my Irwin 27 without using the centerboard for several years just fine (one less thing to worry about) I just purchased a 10/4 which has had the board fiber glassed up for quite a few years and sails just fine. Don't expect to win many races with this configuration, but you don't lose that much performance.

Joe M

Deputy

Jun 1, 2011
Irwin 27 Sag harbor
By delrin rod you mean the brass rod filled with resin - Where do you get these parts - Have you any luck - I have same prblem

Jan 22, 2008
Irwin 28.5 south river , nc NC
the delrin rod should be in the stuffing tube located at the forward end of the center board trunk (in the bilge). It is aprox. 3/4" in dia. looks like a nylon rod that slides in the stuffing tube. You should do this repair while the boat is out of the water. I repaired mine about 4 yrs ago . Not a difficult job at all. I really enjoy my 28.5, an easy sailing machine.....good luck. Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.