Irwin 28 Outboard?

Apr 23, 2014
Irwin 28 Long Island
Hey everyone, I have a dumb question. I'm having problems with my Atomic 4 and have literally been rebuilding it component by component lately. So while I do plan on having my inboard tip top, I thought an outboard, especially as a backup for long cruises, would be a good idea. So I'm going to mount a kicker bracket, and pick up a used long shaft outboard.

My Irwin 28 has a 7800 pound total displacement. So I know I should probably get a 10 horse outboard.

Question is, I found an affordable 8HP Mercury. Would this be powerful enough for my sailboat?

Any and all advice, comments, thoughts are appreciated.

Mar 27, 2011
Hunter 30 Savannah
You will need more than 10hp for your weight especially if it mounted off center. That hp won't push you much at a reasonable speed.

Apr 23, 2014
Irwin 28 Long Island
You will need more than 10hp for your weight especially if it mounted off center. That hp won't push you much at a reasonable speed.
This is an old post, I did not do the outboard decided it was not a good investment. I upgraded my inboard to ElectricYacht!

Jan 13, 2015
Irwen 28 Charleston
My Atomic4 was ripped out prior to me buying my 1973 irwin28. I found a nice Johnson Sailmaster4hp. I mounted it centerline and it pushes the boat just fine. I have never even opened her up all the way either.

Apr 23, 2014
Irwin 28 Long Island
My Atomic4 was ripped out prior to me buying my 1973 irwin28. I found a nice Johnson Sailmaster4hp. I mounted it centerline and it pushes the boat just fine. I have never even opened her up all the way either.
I ripped my A4 out and upgraded to the ElectricYacht system which is the company I work for now. It has a longer range then any A4 or diesel motor for a boat in this class and the performance is just amazing. I am still considering an outboard auxilary motor, and will probably eventually do the Lehr Propane 9.9 long shaft. Happy to see another Irwin 28 owner. Follow me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/sailingeugenesdream

Jan 13, 2015
Irwen 28 Charleston
Hey Eugene..I posted another question just a little while ago about my centerboard possibly missing, and if it was safe to sail without it..do you have any input on this?

Apr 23, 2014
Irwin 28 Long Island
Hey Eugene..I posted another question just a little while ago about my centerboard possibly missing, and if it was safe to sail without it..do you have any input on this?
What makes you think it is missing? Have you attempted to crank it down? When I sail around I never really use it, so unless you are doing a pretty serious passage or facing some big blue I would not worry about it. I sail with it cranked up most of the time.

An Irwin 28 is a really great boat and I am proud to own one. I have had many sailors, many of whom are captains over much larger vessels shake my hand and tell me an Irwin 28 is a true classic and beautiful little sailboat. I know an older sailor who lived on one for almost 10 years and says it was the best years of his life. Be proud of what you have!

At 3.5 draft with it cranked up you can take on exactly what the boat was made for. Moderate conditions coastal cruising. An Irwin 28 has a better comfort ratio then ODay and Catalina. It also has a lower capsize ratio, so it is a nicer ride and safer in rough waters then most in it's class. There were only 3000 ever produced and there are not many still sailing today. So feel good knowing you have a classic.

I'd get the centerboard checked out by a yacht club mechanic so you know exactly what is going on with it. You can honestly just look at the centerboard cable running from aft (the cockpit) under the cabin floor to a block under the pull-up panels up by the head (bathroom) door. If the line feels like it is pretty tight, chances are it is there. If it is loose I'd question it. Make sure it is not over cranked too! It should not be ridiculously tight. You can use the crank handle in the cockpit and try to crank it back and forth to test. I know mine needs to be checked out also and cleaned / re-painted.

Also be sure the big stuffing box under the larger floor panel in the cabin is safe and not dripping. That big (usually rubber tubing) pipe under the larger pull-up floor panel is the sea cock for the centerboard cable.

You can sail her fine without the 7.5 draft the cranked down keel makes, but again, if you are looking to sail her down to the Caribbean or somewhere on big water, make sure she is sea worthy.

Jan 13, 2015
Irwen 28 Charleston
Eugene, I love my Irwin. I sort of saved her..the problem is that the two pulleys are completely rusted and froze. The cable is lose, and there is no crank, I couldn't use it anyway seeing the system is none functional. I did however run a line on both sides of the boat from bow to stern, and found no centerboard in down position. Either its up or gone all together. I havnt raised a sail yet seeing as I only have a jib, and its halyard was rung all the way up so that I have to get up in a bosins chair to run new line. I did however hear you could sail these classical boats without the centerboards...and I'm happy to hear that seeing mine is not operational or gone..Thanks!

Apr 23, 2014
Irwin 28 Long Island
Eugene, I love my Irwin. I sort of saved her..the problem is that the two pulleys are completely rusted and froze. The cable is lose, and there is no crank, I couldn't use it anyway seeing the system is none functional. I did however run a line on both sides of the boat from bow to stern, and found no centerboard in down position. Either its up or gone all together. I havnt raised a sail yet seeing as I only have a jib, and its halyard was rung all the way up so that I have to get up in a bosins chair to run new line. I did however hear you could sail these classical boats without the centerboards...and I'm happy to hear that seeing mine is not operational or gone..Thanks!
Sounds like she needs some love. As long as the hull is in good shape with no major issues or damage, pressure cracks, leaks, etc. I'd invest the money to make her new again. Mine was absolutely perfect when I got her and I have invested thousands since to make her even better. I wish you luck and fair winds.

Nov 2, 2015
Irwin 10/4 Queens Lake Marina, Va
If you guys are still there, do you think a 9.9 hp outboard mounted centerline can do OK on a Irwin 10/4?

Sep 3, 2013
Columbia 8.7 ROCKLAND & ST. PETE
If you guys are still there, do you think a 9.9 hp outboard mounted centerline can do OK on a Irwin 10/4?
Lotta time passed, probably done anyway. 9.9 will generally handle any hull up to around 30-32 feet, no issue. The issue comes in what you ask of it. In and out of berth and harbor, no issues generally (though handling can be a challenge sometimes). If you're looking for an auxiliary to get you home for work on Monday or other extended passages-think twice-especially when it gets snotty. That said I once brought home a new to me 26' Amphibicon from LI Sound to Maine under power-8 hp 1/2 the way and the 6hp backup the rest of the way-both at same hull speed-but superb conditions throughout. Cheers..