Irwin 28 Bilge Pump Runs, But No Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaleR

Jun 17, 2010
Irwin 28 Branford
Hi All: This is a longshot, hoping someone has the same Irwin configuation as my 1972
28 centerboard model: having trailer sailed many years ago, wife and I bought this boat, which has been in continuous use, and did a full cosmetic restoration. She looks, runs, sails great. I redid Atomic 4 ignition and fuel systems. On the mooring two weeks, I have water in the bilge, and found the prop shaft stuffing box is drip, drip drip, behind engine. About to have it repacked by the yard. Would like to pump bilge until they get to it. The electric pump runs by the switch on the panel, but water level does not drop. I have two novice questions: where is the water supposed to exit the boat? Is it through the pipe on the transom down low to starboard, similar to the engine coolant through-hull on the port side? Or is there another through-hull? Also, is there a valve I'm supposed to open, and where the heck is the pump? I can hear it, but haven't found it. I have a stuck UP centerboard, but that is another issue... you can email me
at grsriding@msn.com if you wish.

Jan 22, 2008
Irwin 28.5 south river , nc NC
just saw your post. I also have a 28.5... I guess you've already solved your problem, I would first locate the pump,should be in the bilge just ahead of the engine.Check to make sure the hose is still connected to the pump. You can follow the hose to see where it goes through the hull. My 28 also has a hand pump under the port cockpit seat which discharges out the lower stbd. side aft. as you mentioned...I hope this helps....good luck, cwt

Feb 4, 2011
Irwin 32.5 Corpus Christi
The discharge is on the starboard side about center of the cockpit. The hose could be pluged. My bilge usually had a little water in left over and did have trash stuck in the float switch. Previous owner also had an extra bilge pump with a manual switch installed. Thing could have put out enough water to have kept the Titanic afloat.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.