Irma devastates parts of BVI charter fleets

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
:( Just saw a few photos on Cindy's Facebook pages of some nasty effects from the front side of Irma on Tortola. This is an image captured as the hurricane eye flew over. I haven't authenticated the image, but it shows up as being shared a number of time by BVI residents. This is south Tortola, Paraquita Bay (Hurricane Hole). Apparently the hole needs a new name. Very sad. Feel free to post additional images or stories as the evening progresses.

IMG_0662.JPG

Nov 30, 2015
Cat litter?
Indeed, I didn't see a single monohull in this pile. Give it a look, it's harder than "Where's Waldo". There's a few on the outskirts, but they all seem to be intact and close to shorelines.

Nov 30, 2015
I've only ever rented from BVI Yacht Charters at Joma Marina in Port Purcell. Somewhere online I saw a plan schematic for all assigned rental Fleets expected to moor in Hurricane Hole. BVIYC was planned there as well. That means that my next rental may or may not have succumbed to the fury. I see a long and painful recovery for our good friends and we Credit Card captains.

Feb 11, 2017
Pootling around the web last evening, I saw both those photos, but the article said that the "before" photo dates to about 2015. Still, I don't think there are fewer charter boats in the BVI now than there were then.
Just looking at that "before" photo, you have to wonder what they were thinking (or drinking?) to expect a raft of that size with that much windage to remain intact in even a less powerful storm. I do feel sorry for the charter businesses, though, and all the owners of those boats and next season's would-be charterers.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
That's not a hurricane hole in my mind. Plus it is classic example of misery is company.

If you were simply rafted up and have 2' waves bounce you around all of a sudden? What do you experience when it turns into 4-6' waves? (Fenders mean little)

Now add the rigs all aligned carefully? (Even with multihulls, you have stays.)

Do you break-up a two or three boat raft when there is supposed to be little thunderstorm or wind shift?

That picture of those boats lined up is either for the "owners", who know little, to gain some comfort that shouldn't exist, or for some purpose of showing-off the fleet.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A major point is to get the boats out of the marina so they do not treat the marina like breaking a wishbone apart.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
The question that always comes to my mind when I see something like that is where do you start?