Irish Olympic Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Really an interesting starting sequence. Sadly, the commentator was probably a golfer, and not a sailor. It is symptomatic of the reason why people aren't interested in sailing and its competitive side. They simply don't understand it. Probably a lot like me if I had to narrate a Cricket game.

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
And that announcer has the nerve to call the spectators idiots! Do you suppose he ever looked in to a mirror? -Paul

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
That was the funniest video I've seen in quite a while! Keep em coming.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
that was as good or better than jackie stewart narrating f-1 and calling rene arnoux "the little frog" --then spent all the rest of the race trying to smooth that mess over--i laughed my tail off..

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's really funny! Do you think it's for real, or is it a spoof?
Well, it's someone's commentary on a real race(start, that is).... so it's real. Are you asking if it is an Irish Television Broadcasting Network production.....? Does it matter?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Well, it's someone's commentary on a real race(start, that is).... so it's real. Are you asking if it is an Irish Television Broadcasting Network production.....? Does it matter?
Jeez, just wondering!

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
That's really funny! Do you think it's for real, or is it a spoof?
Pretty much guarantee it's a spoof commentary, there's a fook of a lot of cussing!:naughty: How 'bout that Finnish lady?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Pretty much guarantee it's a spoof commentary, there's a fook of a lot of cussing!:naughty: How 'bout that Finnish lady?
Yea, I like how he kept saying "watch your fookin' head" when they would tack.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Reminds me of an old joke

Yea, I like how he kept saying "watch your fookin' head" when they would tack.
An old British fighter pilot is describing a dog fight in the battle of Britain with terms like " that ****er came at me from that direction, and that other ****er came at me from below" and so on. The interviewer looking very uncomfortable finally breaks in and states "Ladies and gentlemen, for your understanding a Fokker is a type of German airplane." To which the pilot replies, "No those ****ers were Messerschmitts." :eek: :redface:

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Really an interesting starting sequence. Sadly, the commentator was probably a golfer, and not a sailor. It is symptomatic of the reason why people aren't interested in sailing and its competitive side. They simply don't understand it. Probably a lot like me if I had to narrate a Cricket game.
Cricket is like soap operas. You can leave for a while and come back and nothing much has happened. I attended a match once and still can't figure out the scoring system.

Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
I bet he's just pissed that drinking and wife beating didn't make the Olympics this year..

Nov 26, 2010
Pearson 30 S.E. Michigan
It's an Irish dude having a bit of fun is all.

I thought it was hilarious. First time I watched it, I knew it was a spoof commentary, but I was thinking "What the heck kind of sailboat race is this???" Then, when it got to the end, I really had to laugh.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.