Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Primarily a concern of those on the Mid Atlantic coast and looking like those in NY and NE but thoughts of all invited. What are your hurricane prep tips? I for one am in a pretty good hurricane hole off the western shore of the Chesapeake just south of the Potomac, Will keep Flyaway at the dock with extra springs and some more slack in the lines, get everything off the deck and battened down and depending on wind prediction will either put some ties around the genoa or take it down. Not planning on taking the canvas off but could be pusuaded if the eye moves farther west than predicted at the moment. I went through Isabel and Ernesto with the old boat and the main concern with both was tidal surge and having enough slack in the lines without endangering the hull against the pilings. But each of us has different situations and concerns with how exposed our boats are. Our one and only area boatyard is busy hauling right now.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
With a max of only 1.5 miles of fetch to the NE, we will ride it out at our mooring on the Elk. I will set and extra anchor, maybe 2 just in case. If the track is further to the west, in anticipation of winds >40knts, I will need to take down bimini with solar cells to reduce windage. Lets hope that it stays well off shore for everyone.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Sails/canvas off, double lines, add port spring lines, fender port side, secure boom and take any loose items (winch/helm covers, etc) off and secure, will make the "stay-aboard" decision once a more concrete track is seen and whether or not conditions will be TS or hurricane.

Good luck everyone and stay safe!

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Just delivered my boat to a yard in Deltaville with a travellift, to be hauled in the morning. Suddenly glad I have my insurance with BoatUS (they'll pay half!).

Jul 16, 2006
-Catalina C310 RNSYS
Hurricane Preparations

I have been on ships and passed through the eye once. I have been in a typhoon off Japan.

Take your canvas down. Put out extra extra lines (in the merchant navy known as hurricane hawsers) and rig fenders, etc. If you think you have enough lines - add more.

I also fly airplanes as a hobby. I have been asked what my airplane costs. I always reply - $5K. That is my deductible should the aircraft be a total write-off. I would put the plane in a cornfield if that will save lives.

If you are adequately insured and have taken seamanlike precautions - do not put yourself in harms way.

The important part is to do what is seamanlike. My impression is that if you are on this forum, you will not have any problem with that.

Regards

Chris

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
The NHC has nudged the track westward. The center of the track predictiion now has it passing over Cape Hatteras, the the VA capes and hugging the NJ coast right through western LI. I think the Genoa and canvas comes off as the western Chesapeake appears to be well inside the tropical storm wind cone. Good luck to all in her path.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea, this is getting more dicey each hour. I will have to strip her down, add two anchors + the mooring all with chafe protection, lines leading around the base of the mast, and hope for the best.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
They just issued mandatory evacuations of all barrier islands in Cape May County, NJ and most of the islands north of that was well.

Tonight we dodged crazy storm after storm moving boats to protected area in marina and tomorrow we take down sails, canvas, and do all the other necessaries. Saturday we will probably clear out and pray. Unfortunately our house is right in her current projected path so we are not sure if we will head home or get a room in our marina hotel.

We shall see.

Good luck everyone.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
All in Irene's path okay? Here on the northern neck just trees down and power out. I have to hand to NWS at Wakefield- their tidal surge prediction in the Chesapeake was pretty much dead on.

Jun 30, 2010
Catalina 310 Bristol RI
New Horizons survived out on its mooring in Bristol Harbor. I was pretty nervous following it on the Web on Sunday, especially as the wind clocked around from SE to S to SW. Bristol is most exposed from SW. Even though we were pretty far from the center of Irene, gusts were recorded at 82. Unfortunately 2 boats did go up on the rocks and one boat fell over on shore, toppling over 2 other boats.

We had gone down on Friday and stripped off all the sails and canvas. Now we have to put it all back on this weekend, but we are happy we did it.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Glad to hear you all of you and your boats survived the storm!

Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
Sea rose did well (Gloucester Pt) on York River. Moved boat to a 50' floating slip and had no less than 13 lines securing it.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.