iPad Navionics file to sd card then to chart plotter.

Feb 4, 2012
LM 28 Pilot House Sloop Pilothouse Campobello Island & Fredericton, NB
Hello from Frosty Fredericton, NB, Canada

Has anyone ever saved a Navionics Created Route from an iPad Pro onto an SD card then taken the Created Route on the SD card to a non-WiFi ‘ing Chart Plotter and then uploaded the Created Route from the SD card to the Plotter’s memory?

iPad Rocks for Route Planning but the Chart Plotter Rocks for helming.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Has anyone ever saved a Navionics Created Route from an iPad Pro onto an SD card then taken the Created Route on the SD card to a non-WiFi ‘ing Chart Plotter and then uploaded the Created Route from the SD card to the Plotter’s memory?
Contrary to what Navionics says here: https://navionics.secure.force.com/...porting-or-Importing-from-Mobile-to-a-Plotter. It is doable but many steps required. Try this.

Steps to transfer routes from iPad to PC to chartplotter
1. Open iPad Navionics App
2. Open the route that is to be transferred (Route > My Routes Archieve)
3. Upper left of app screen and to the right of the route name click on the icon
4. Click on email (send the route to your email address)
5. Open email on your PC and click on "Download it: http://tinyurl.com/?????????"
6. That file will be a KML file (Google Earth (Keyhole) Markup Language)
7. Convert that file using something like GPSBable to whatever you want and save it to your SD Card.
8. Transfer to your chartplotter.

Do this for every route you wish to transfer to the chartplotter. Good luck.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
yes, it can be done... but I learned that you need to check the storage capacity of the card, vs the size of card that your plotter can use.

most plotters have a max size of the card they can read, and even though the file may not exceed the plotters limits, the card itself may, in which case you may get an error message or problems loading it without any error messages..

Feb 4, 2012
LM 28 Pilot House Sloop Pilothouse Campobello Island & Fredericton, NB
Thanks

I was looking for a way to skip the emailing. Any advice there?

Dino

Aug 10, 2011
none none Northern California
If you are using a newer Raymarine chartplotter, their forum says that a new Lighthouse III s/w update, expected in January, will include functionality to export routes from your tablet to the plotter.
Here's hoping....
Oldersalt

Hello from Frosty Fredericton, NB, Canada

iPad Rocks for Route Planning but the Chart Plotter Rocks for helming.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I was looking for a way to skip the emailing. Any advice there?
Complete Step 1 to 3 from my previous post (#2).
4. Click on "Add to Notes"
4a. Transfer Notes to your PC via any iOS file transfer app (such as AnyTrans)
5. Open Notes on your PC and click on "Download it: http://tinyurl.com/?????????"
Complete Steps 6 to 8 above post.
Both methods are route sharing using the Navionics App.
If you flush out a more direct transfer method please pass it on to the members.