ipad for navigation

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Only iPads with wi-fi + cellular have a GPS, necessary for navigation apps, built-in. The wi-fi only does not have built-in GPS. A good friend made this mistake.
This is overcome by acquiring a stand alone gps reciever. I prefer these due to more precise readings and I can connect all my redundant devices (phones and additional IPads) to it. There is a lot on them in flying forums

Dec 28, 2015
I like my IPad. You’ll need constant power for it. I use TimeZero as my primary chart app for its radar over lay and ISailor as a back up. I like ISailors charts better.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I genuinely apologize if I took your tone the wrong way. I'm exhausted and at the time, not having the ability to sit on my computer at home, I suppose I was a little irritable.
Accepeted, and much appreciated. Go get a good rest, you deserve it.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I‘ve used an Ipad with iNavX APP for 12 years and find it works perfectly.
As mentioned there are dozens of threads on this topic. Not sure how you are accessing but at the very top of the forums app there is a search box. I typed in iPad and it showed over 500 posts on this subject.

is the search box not showing for you? It’s at the top of the app page right next to the Sailboat owners logo.

I have a holder I purchased from Zarcor so its mounted on the pedestal. Had a 12 volt outlet installed in the pedestal so it runs off the house batteries.
The ipad links wirelessly to a Digital Yachts hub where the GPS and AIS antennas are connected.

Yes the iPad has its own GPS capability but ipads track 3 satellites and the gps system connected through digital yachts system tracks 12.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
is the search box not showing for you? It’s at the top of the app page right next to the Sailboat owners logo.
+1. Sandfly - it sounds like you are using the app, but for things like searching I think you’ll find just using your phone’s browser and going to forums.sailboatowners.com works well. The website is very responsive to screen sizes and fits nicely.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I use IPad with my C-80 chartplotter at helm and use Navionics and love and great for navigating and been using it for few years and do keep it plugged in with usb plug I added at helm
It’s great in daylight also.
I may add ais to it someday.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I do have my iPad on a mounted under my nav pod.
Great backup and so good I some times use it with Navionics as my prime navigation.
Nick

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
To answer your question
As far as any other concerns, I'm curious as to how ipad screens have improved in sunlight over the last few years.

They have not really improved. They are still almost impossible to read (Nav charts that is) in bright sunlight.
I have mine down below and when I need to duck down to check.
Otherwise I sit on the companionway with the tablet on my lap (it has a lanyard) and my tiller pilot remote in my hand.
Works for me,

gary

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Sorry I haven't followed this thread but I have followed the 'Ipad navigation' thread for years. I'm still a fan of a mounted CP, now as back up. The Ipad has been my main go to, but,... last season I think my phone has become my most used nav tool. I'm relying on it more and more for related info as well as the best 'minder' of my position. Anybody else finding the phone in their pocket is becoming more useful?

Dec 28, 2015
The only issues I have with mine in bright sunlight is my polarized sunglasses make the screen hard to see and being in a waterproof case, it will overheat occasionally with the screen in the brightest setting.when setting out in the sun

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Anybody else finding the phone in their pocket is becoming more useful?
I do too. The chartplotter is my primary navigation tool but I’ve found myself looking at Navionics on my phone more and more. It’s a small screen but having quick access to auto-routing, Active Captain, and more responsive panning and zooming makes it very handy.

Dec 28, 2015
I have a rule of keeping my waterproof IPhone in my zippered pocket anytime I’m single handed. I lost GPS on my iPad while approaching a moorage in the middle of a rain squal and in the dark the other night. Went in on my phone.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Suggestion someone uses a search feature is fine, telling someone to "get on a computer" is a little rude, but I guess that's subjective.
It's actually a good suggestion as doing the search on a phone does not work as well. I can attest to that. Doing the search on a computer works much better in my experience.

The comment wasn't rude, it was simply direct.

dj

p.s. I'm currently on my phone and missed a huge part of the above - just another example where a computer does actually work better....

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This subject is moving at the speed of light.

AI (artificial intelligence) will soon beam out of the cloud to our boats. You'll be connected to world and your boat will drive itself, around buoys and rocks.

It will finally be safe to sail the coast of Maine. :)

Don't invest much today in nav gear, especially stuff that 'mounts' to the boat, it will be obsolete tomorrow.
 Nav station_.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
This subject is moving at the speed of light.

AI (artificial intelligence) will soon beam out of the cloud to our boats. You'll be connected to world and your boat will drive itself, around buoys and rocks.

It will finally be safe to sail the coast of Maine. :)

Don't invest much today in nav gear, especially stuff that 'mounts' to the boat, it will be obsolete tomorrow.
View attachment 188234
I'm not so sure about the "safe to sail around Maine" LOL - but for sure don't buy electronics that attach to your boat. That world is exploding at warp speed! It's getting really interesting!

dj

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I don't agree with "don't buy electronics that attach to your boat" at all. Yes, things are changing, but that doesn't mean you can't get great gear today that will still be working great in 5-10 years. IMHO do your research, decide on what features you want, buy and install the gear, and sail on. Yes, in the near future there will be better gear but so what? You still have great gear that does what you want it to do. I installed a B&G Vulcan 7FS back in 2015, Yes there are newer better plotters today but the Vulcan is still sold by B&G.

Personally I prefer permanently mounted in installed electronics. As mentioned you never have to worry about the battery going flat at an inopportune time, you can read the screen at noon and dim it for midnight, it works when it's 100 degrees, and when it' pouring rain. Since I can 'mirror' the display on my phone and ipad I can sit comfortably in the cabin and plan my trip. Or I can run the Navionics app at home and when I get to the boat I can just transfer the route. All that for a plotter that cost $600 back in 2015.

Barry

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I want one of those "dog" driven AI programs Tom has..
Dogs are very good at sniffing out rocks...

I had a Chesapeake Bay Retriever once. When we would go on a campout, She would go down to the stream and select just the right rock, not to small not too big... Just right, to ring my campfire. Only issue was they were from the bottom of the stream and were water soaked.