iPad Charging - 12V vs. Inverter

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maine have you tryed one of those 12v chargers that puts out 20v to the note book....i found one yesterday in the local puter store and am intertaining it .....runs about $70.00 .....wonder how efficent it would be .....may get it and see what its putting out on the puter end ...but not sure how i can check the amp draw with a clamp meter as it has a molded cord from one end to the other.....

regards

woody
I generally only use Lind or iGo or the factory made adapters for the specific computer. Some of them are elcheapo Chinese junk so you need to be careful. From my days in the Pharma and Biotech industries I have a bucket full of 12V adapters and in almost ever cases the IT departments chose the IBM/Lenovo, HP, Dell etc. 12V adapters. I did have one iGo and one Lind though... Lind makes a very good 12V adapter but they are not inexpensive. Each computer maker also usually offers a 12V adapter.

A few years ago I bought an elcheapo for a NetBook. Only this ASUS netbook had no voltage tolerance and it needed 12V exactly, from the power supply. My charging system at 14.6V sent the netbook into a meltdown. I bought the ASUS 12V adapter....

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I generally only use Lind or iGo or the factory made adapters for the specific computer. Some of them are elcheapo Chinese junk so you need to be careful. From my days in the Pharma and Biotech industries I have a bucket full of 12V adapters and in almost ever cases the IT departments chose the IBM/Lenovo, HP, Dell etc. 12V adapters. I did have one iGo and one Lind though... Lind makes a very good 12V adapter but they are not inexpensive. Each computer maker also usually offers a 12V adapter.

A few years ago I bought an elcheapo for a NetBook. Only this ASUS netbook had no voltage tolerance and it needed 12V exactly, from the power supply. My charging system at 14.6V sent the netbook into a meltdown. I bought the ASUS 12V adapter....
thanks for the heads up ...the one i found is made in Scottsdale Az with the made in the USA label on it ...i will do a little more research on this and see what i can find.......

as for reading the amp draw on the 12v side...in my haste to ask the question :doh:...i didn't think far enough back...all i have to do is put the clamp meter on the positive side feed wire of the 12v female socket and take the reading lol...

OBTW its an Acer Aspire note book

regards

woody