Inverter wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
While re-doing the batteries, I am going to install a few 12v recepticles for my computer and cell phone.

I also want to install a 1000watt inverter.

I'll replace the current A/C breaker with one that does not allow shore power AND the inverter to supply power.

Currently the A/C breaker is near the icebox, which is where I would keep the new BlueSeas breaker.

My plan was to install the inverter in the space below the Nav table, which is where the house batteries and charger are currently installed. This would keep the cables from the inverter to the batteries at a minimum...less than a foot.

Well...I just read NOT to install inverter in same area as batteries. So that is out.

Questions:
I fuse from the inverter to the battery? YES...I see that.

Since I can't place the inverter with the batteries, underneath the Nav table (in my boat) is out. The engine bay is out, under the pilot's berth is out (gas tank), space is very limited behind the galley drawers by the ladder...Any suggestions.

Does having the inverter a distance away from the batteries matter?
Will this cause a loss or quality in power?

I am going to run 12g wire from the inverter BACK to the BlueSeas A/C breaker in the galley, how is this done?

I was looking at the Xantrex 1000w inverter, which has 2 GFI outlets on it. Do I install a plug the 12g wire that runs back to the breaker? It seems so sketchy....is there a way to hard wire the inverter to my current A/C system on the boat...or is the Xantrex model not the one for me!?!

Thanks
Chris

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
I was thinking we would mount ours horizontally above the nav station, with an extra 12v cooling fan added to the cabinet. Looks like in your situation, you may not have the clearance. Since you need to keep those battery cables short as possible (or increase the gauge and fusing), you might add some cabinetry to the left or right of the nav. Maybe a vertical or "on edge" install?

Rob

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I was not aware that the inverter had to be kept a certain distance from the batteries.
Is this because of potential overheating? Most inverter cables are only a few feet long because longer cables will cause voltage drop. If the inverter, like mine, clamps directly to the 12 volt battery terminals, then having the inverter close to the batteries is unavoidable. I only hook up an inverter to my batteries on a temporary basis, when I have to use convert 12 volt to 110 current. Be aware that the sin - wave length of some cheaper inverters may potentially damage a computer. Guess sailors have to do something to power up a laptop for a long distance cruise. I usually just charge up devices before we set sail, & plug them in for recharge at the end of the day, if shore power is available of course. I have a seperate 12 volt battery that I only use with our inverter, that I recharge seperately. I was concerned about killing the batteries that I count on for the boat systems with a power sucking inverter. Guess this will just be a growing problem with more power hungry devices being brought on board.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
jrowan said:
I was not aware that the inverter had to be kept a certain distance from the batteries.
Is this because of potential overheating? Most inverter cables are only a few feet long because longer cables will cause voltage drop. If the inverter, like mine, clamps directly to the 12 volt battery terminals, then having the inverter close to the batteries is unavoidable. I only hook up an inverter to my batteries on a temporary basis, when I have to use convert 12 volt to 110 current. Be aware that the sin - wave length of some cheaper inverters may potentially damage a computer. Guess sailors have to do something to power up a laptop for a long distance cruise. I usually just charge up devices before we set sail, & plug them in for recharge at the end of the day, if shore power is available of course. I have a seperate 12 volt battery that I only use with our inverter, that I recharge seperately. I was concerned about killing the batteries that I count on for the boat systems with a power sucking inverter. Guess this will just be a growing problem with more power hungry devices being brought on board.
I use a computer ups backup battery set under the nav station for all my 120 volt electronics tv computer etc... Inverter sits hardwired to main house battery "C" post on 1/2/both selector switch and right next to ups battery under nav no issues . When I am not at the dock and want to run tv etc without running generator I just unplug ups from 120 volt outlet and plug it into inverter......KISS!!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Chris,

1. What specific model inverter? Reason is some have internal automatic transfer switches if you want to hard wire them into your A.C. boat wiring.

2. The manufacturers do not want you to place any gear into the same space as the battery, like in the fiberglass housing Catalina built for your battery box. If it is located somewhere else within the nav station but not IN the battery compartment itself it should be fine. Otherwise, can't you just hang it on the aft end of the nav station facing the quarterberth? You seem to be overdoing or over-understanding this issue.

3. Distance: the only thing about distance is the wire size between the inverter and the battery bank, the further it is the thicker the wire needs to be.

I am sure that the manual has adequate information for wiring the inverter, either standalone (A.C.) or integrated. I know when I helped a friend over five years ago the manual showed exactly what to do. If that doesn't help, you may need to obtain qualified local assistance beyond what we can offer on this forum.

Good luck.

Nov 24, 2011
Catalina 30 San Diego
Chris. I have a 1000w inverter in my van as I have an office in it. I run a small compressor, a laptop and a printer. The compressor will kill my battery in a few minutes without the engine running. But then it is on a regular car battery and not a marine deep cycle one. The RV dealer refused to install it using more than 8' of cable. Something about heat and loss of power. That would mean my inverter would be under the dash. I use #4 wire and put it in the back if the van using 12' of cable. Like I said it runs a compressor with no problems. A long way of saying put it in the most convent place but use the largest wire that will fit the terminals. I put a cigarette lighter plug in my boat for charging hand held radios, cell phones, etc. I got a small inverter that plugs into the same connection to run my laptop. It has it's own fan in it In my opinion if you need a 1000W inverter you will need to be running either the engine or a generator or your battery won't last too long. The inverter, by the way, draws power when on even if nothing is plugged into it. For about $600 you can get a portable generator that will run for up to 10 hours on a gal of gas. Great for recharging batteries, using a blender for icy cold drinks, etc. but then ther is storage of it when not in use and a gas can on the deck. But it is another option. You can just plug it into the AC input for your boat.

Jan 22, 2008
I did think about a portable generator, but the gas on deck and having to lug and store the gen didn't make sense.

Stu

The inverter I was looking at was the Xantrex ProWatt SW1000. The manual doesn't provide for a hard A/C connection, just the 2 GFI outlets in front. (I included the manual from online) It does not have an automatic shut off if shore power is connected, but I like the option of using the either/or switch that prohibits both from being used. I also know I will have to turn off the battery charger when the inverter is being used...

I have included pictures of the how I have my Nav table set up. There are 2 house batteries in the cabinet along with a 40amp battery charger attached to stern side of the cabinet. The A/C and DC distribution panels are up top...

Perhaps I could mount it to the back of the Nav cabinet along the STBD side of the boat horizontal. It would be in the actual cabinet along with the new battery banks and charger...Perhaps I am over thinking it...

Or maybe there is a better inverter out there...Mainsail reccomended this model, even though he doesn't particularly like Xantrex. My charger is a Xantrex and I have had great luck with it over the last 5 years.

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Chris, you have the exact same electrical panel set up as mine. I also have the same Blue Sea system panel replacement 12 volt breaker panels & a Xantrex charger mounted to the same location to the right of the batteries, unde the Nav. table. Why not just do what I've been doing and manually hook up an inverter when or if you need it? Then you don't have to worry about it potentially drawing down your batteries if its not always hooked up to them.

As the above post states I also try to KISS when it comes to electrical draws on our boat. I also think that the most useful thing to wire to your 12 volt system is a cigarette type adapter outlet. I also have a splitter on mine that powers most of my accessory 12 volt needs. Except those big hand led floodlights - they use a lot of juice & blew out a fuse on me, in the dark of course.

ps. Looks like your portlights were leaking into the back of the inner hull liner at some point form those brown stain run marks. This is probably what corrodes out all of our C 30 original electrical panels & wiring. My wiring & panel was completely replaced due to corrosion.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
I know what you're saying about keeping it simple...

At first. one of the reasons for the need for A/C on the hook was to power a TV, but I found some ebay specials with TV's and DVD players combined that are 12v powered. So will run some 12v outlets, this will also help power my laptop and cell phones.

I also use a CPAP machine and instead of buying a battery powered unit, I thought of the hard wired inverter system. I would also be able to use a small microwave or toaster too...

As for the leaks...yeah, when I bought the boat, there was some serious sealing problems on the windows, stanchions, etc.

I still want to pursue the hard wired inverter, just exploring the options! Winter is almost done here (wishful thinking) and looking at few projects.

Thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.