Inverter relay buzz

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If the shorepower goes to the panel, how does the inverter feed the AC system on your boat? That's why I asked what the relay is for and what purpose it serves.
Stu you are right that relay is very likely the automatic transfer switch which is activated by the On/Off switch on the Inverter. One possible cause for the buzz is a faulty On/Off switch.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Now this is a thought, could the inverter in-fact be wired directly to the ac panel then go to the relay? It is tight behind the panel and I did not open the rear cover to the ac panel to trace those wires that lead from the relay to the panel. Guess I need to investigate.
I just visited the Xantrex website and looked into their discontinued inverters. All they had was a data sheet for the PW3000, but they did have the installation guide for the PW1500. It appears neither comes with an automatic transfer switch and has receptacles on the face of the inverter. Before you start messing around, BEFORE, I urge you to learn all you can about this unit, even Google finding a manual. If YOU don't understand how the thing is wired, you should learn. If YOU don't understand that as long as the unit has DC power CONNECTED to it, it is live, REGARDLESS of what the remote switch position is, you should learn, 'cuz that's what the bloody manual says.
IIWMB, I'd draw a wiring diagram, first.
I also would hesitate to use a relay for the important transfer to assure that two A.C. sources never feed the circuits. There are reliable mechanical switches for this purpose.
If that relay fails, and you get two sources of power at the same time, you will be SOL.
Good luck, just trying to warn you of the dangers.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I do have the manual. And in the wiring schematic there is no relay. I’m starting to think the relay is activated AFTER the ac panel is turned on. So inverter goes straight to panel then to the relay....... but also remember, this is a French boat (even though American built) and while the boat sails like a dream and has accommodations like a sweet hotel room, the wiring is wanky.

There is no way to get two sources of power in..... there is a mechanical switch that prevents this. Also as long as the main breaker is off, no power gets to the inverter and this always stays off until I am ready to use..... hate getting electrocuted. I will open the entire panel up and trace what goes where..... bought a new relay and will replace as well.

Again thanks!

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
I do have the manual. And in the wiring schematic there is no relay. I’m starting to think the relay is activated AFTER the ac panel is turned on. So inverter goes straight to panel then to the relay.......

There is no way to get two sources of power in..... there is a mechanical switch that prevents this.
Good, and I agree at least the 1500 didn't have a relay either. I don't believe you mentioned a mechanical switch before, and if you did I thought it was one of your three battery switches. Is this mechanical switch the transfer switch?
I think we'd all be interested in learning what the relay does. I'm sure you'd like to figure it out before you go and replace it, too.
Good luck.

Feb 26, 2004
Good, you AC panel has a manual transfer switch. Gee, see how easy it was to type that? :):):) Just kiddin' around here.

I don't understand (1) and wouldn't (2) come after (3)?

So, back to What's The Relay For? time, I guess. :pimp:;)

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
My money is still on the relay providing a neutral/ground bond. A neutral/ground bond is required, it also prevents the reverse polarity light form coming on.

I looked up the specs on that relay and it's rated at 30 amps @ 120 volt. It could carry the load of the inverter or a 30 amp shore power cable but I don't think it's used like that. Wouldn't make sense to have a manual transfer switch and an ATS.

My guess is that the MTS (interlocking breakers) provides power to the relay coil when it is switched to "ship" then the relay contacts connect (bond) the neutral to the ground. Your just gonna have to figure it out.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
So I posted this question on my beneteau 423 site and got this response.

“Greg,

I had the same annoying buzz when I engaged my inverter, to the point where it put the inverter in alarm. I ran through the wiring and found that the relays purpose was to isolate the inverter from the battery charger, water heater, and maybe the spare 120 V circuit and only enable the outlets circuit when on the inverter rather than all circuits powered as on shore power. There logic seems to be the battery charger circuit would just rat race and loose power if left on with the inverter on, and the water heater would draw more power than the inverter/batteries could supply. I eliminated mine, but am always conscious of what breakers are on when enabling the inverter.”

Makes sense. Think i found my answer. What do you think?? Will open up next weekend to conform.

Thanks all
Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Makes sense. Think i found my answer. What do you think??
Makes sense. I wired my inverter/charger output to my AC system, and find shutting off the water heater is simply a management issue. Since it's an I/C I didn't have the charger issue.
So, ya got two switches to turn off befored you engage the inverter. Sounds doable, saves you replacing the relay.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Makes sense. I wired my inverter/charger output to my AC system, and find shutting off the water heater is simply a management issue. Since it's an I/C I didn't have the charger issue.
So, ya got two switches to turn off befored you engage the inverter. Sounds doable, saves you replacing the relay.
Nice of beneteau to try and help but I would rather manage things myself rather that have excess wires and breakable parts...... going to open things up and inspect this weekend and see what I can do to remove this! Btw what is an I/C?

Again thanks!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
So I’m going to be opening up
My panel today and seeing how simple or not this will be to just eliminate the relay. Just wondering if they didn’t want certain circuits on the panel not to work (water heater) why not just use a buss bar rather than a relay? Seems less complicated.

Greg