Inverter install tutorial?

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
Maine:
Still wondering if you might be getting around to a tutorial on proper install practices for an inverter, similar to your great article from January 2012 on battery charger install. I would like to see the options you recommend as far as using the built in transfer switch and where to lead the 110 shore power line, to the inverter or directly to the AC panel, with inverter coming off to a sub panel, as well as all safety wiring practices including where and what type of fuses to use.

Thanks!

Rodd

May 23, 2013
Hunter H42 Passage East Chicago and Hammond
YES PLEASE! I have to install one in my Passage 42. Had one but the owner removed it when it burnt up (?)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
It's still on my list... Unfortunately things keep getting ahead of it in line...

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks Maine! I'm sure you will get to it if and when you can. Hope you are enjoying the winter!

Rodd

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I am installing an inverter and am not sure where best to ground it (engine block, AC ground, ...)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am installing an inverter and am not sure where best to ground it (engine block, AC ground, ...)
A few questions..

* Is this a UL Marine tested/certified inverter?
* Is it an inverter/charger or just an inverter?
* Will this be tied into the vessels AC panel or will it act as a stand alone fully isolated AC source that is not connected to the vessels existing AC system?
* Are you referencing the green wire/chassis ground or the DC negative conductor?
* Brand & Model of inverter?

In this ABYC diagram you will see the DC Main Negative Bus. This is where the green chassis wire will be connected to. The negative wire would be wired as close to the battery bank as possible.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Thank you for your quick reply. I waited to get to the boat and see the drawing on a bigger screen than my phone and have access to the information.
I have a Power Tech-On PS1003 pure sine wave inverter (2000 W continuous/ 4000 surge) that does unfortunately not have the option to tie in the AC bus, is not UL listed, and is approved for marine use, but not rated...
The documentation provided says to ground to vehicle chassis, and the drawing you provided shows the negative battery bus, AC ground bus, DC ground bus, and ground plate to all be basically the same point electrically.
I believe that I will run a #8 wire from the inverter chassis ground to the engine mount, unless you consider that inappropriate. Thanks again.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Maine,
We could still use that in-depth inverter install tutorial. Please don't forget it!

Thanks.
Rodd