Inverter for a Bus

dwcory

Nov 27, 2013
Catalina 30 Salem, MA
This question has nothing to do with boats, but rather, for a bus. Let me explain....

I have some friends, and the husband was recently diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's. It's tragic. He's 52, with three great kids. Anyway, they have decided to "come out" with his diagnosis, and work to create as many positive memories as they can, while he's still with it. So, they are converting a school bus into an RV, painting it purple (the color of Alzheimer's awareness), and taking the summer to drive around the country, visiting National parks, and conducing Alzheimer's awareness sessions along the way.

Their bus conversion is in many ways like outfitting a boat. The wife, who is spearheading this effort, was recently told they will need an inverter so that their fridge can run during the days while they are driving. At nights, they will be in campgrounds, largely, and so will be able to plug in. But during the days, the engine will be charging the battery, so the fridge will need to run off the battery too.

I keep my boat on a mooring, so don't ever plug in to shore power. As a result, I know nothing about inverters, or the whole world of mixing 12V DC with 110V AC. Can anyone enlighten me with words of wisdom that I can turn around and impart to my friends? And if you have specific recommendations about inverters to buy, or how to wire the system, I'm all ears for that too!

Oh, and by the way, if any of you want to read more or help support this family in their adventure, they have a go fund me page:
https://www.gofundme.com/alz-togeth...UvXj2lPmPCPnUUZjy9y2GxOP2gyP4IXfBVIcELhYQWwrQ

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If it's just for the fridge you shouldn't need too big of an inverter. Wiring it up would be the same process as on a boat or any other application. They could also consider a fridge that can run off of both AC and DC, or even AC, DC, and LPG, for more flexibility.