Introduction: Bought a 1974 O'Day 23 Convertible

Oct 20, 2014
O'Day 23-1 Lake Champlain, Vermont
Hello All,

Have been working my way through many pages of old forum posts and am looking forward to being part of things here. I just bought a 1974 O'Day 23 Convertible (partial pop-top) in pretty solid condition. Am starting to do some fixes now since it is a warm fall week in Vermont.

Boat had no trailer but got lucky and found a 1973 O'Day 23 with a 2011 trailer that was custom made for it. Single axle but very sturdy (heavy duty axle, springs and wheels). Combination had towed well for several hundred miles (since I got the boat positioning adjusted for about 370 lbs. of tongue weight). That gives me a spare boat which I may pass on to a family member if she and her husband want to refurbish it. But it might be nice to have spare spars, rudder, etc.

I really like this particular version of the 23 because of the headroom and the useful, for me, layout of the cabin. Biggest challenge will be dealing with the centerboard this spring. I don't know if it is stuck but will assume it is. May drop the keel, sandblast and repaint with the special anti-rust paint.

Would love to be in touch with other owners of the early 23s. Here's a pic made two years ago by the previous owner.

I've been sailing for about 30 years and my other current boat is a 1981 Mirage 5.5 (20 feet, semi-racing boat). What I've noticed about the O'Day 23 so far is that the hull, etc. seems very well built but some of the hardware (blocks, jib winches, etc.) are lighter than I'm used to. We'll see how they do and, if needed, I can swap.

Cheers,

Sean

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I didn't know O'day made a partial pop top. looks like a nice feature. Enjoy.

Oct 20, 2014
Thanks Ward. They only made these in 1974 and, apparently, there were only 145 made. The pop-top system is very similar to what is used (and seems to work well) on the Catalina 22/25 and the Rhodes 22. Standing room seems to be about 6' 3" or so. The boat even came with the stock (and very rare) curtains to enclose the pop-top. They're in good shape.

BTW, had a great sail on Barnegat Bay this fall with some Com-Pac sailor friends.

Cheers,

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
This version of the pop-top was phased-in during the 1973 model year, it was a lot more practical than hte original design and now allowed a deck-stepped, and option of hinged mast. The original 23 pop-top (1971-73ish) with the whole cabin trunk lifting up, required a keel-stepped mast, not too ideal for a "trailerable" boat. The only thing that I really don't like on these (1971-74) 32s is that cast-iron keel, at least the CB is fiberglass, but tryingto keep the CB slot free of rust and fouling must be difficult if the boat is kept in hte water all season. Still, I think most of them were moored not trailered (trailer does make a great winter storage cradle and allows bringing boat home without needing a boat hauler.

You are right, not as many of the later, partial pop-top versions were built, sad, since they seemed like nice boats! I think the last ones were built in 1975(?), and the newer 23 with the molde-in keel (aka: 23-2, though O'DAY never called her that) was introduced in late 1976 as a 1977 model.

Attachments

Oct 20, 2014
Hi Sunbird,

Thanks for the post. I think it's a really good boat overall. The stats on build dates and numbers I got from "I Heart O'Days" but you seem to have even better data. In any case, it seems to be a rare boat. I'm working on the pop-top right now but in the spring I'll tackle the keel. I may end up dropping it, sandblasting and using that special rust resistant paint that I learned about on this forum. I figure that, one way or another, I can get it sorted so long as I'm willing to do some work. I'm thinking I might want to do it the hard way (but the right way) once and then not have to mess with it for a few years. I bought the boat knowing that I'd have to deal with the keel. But even working on the boat today I'm loving the standing headroom inside.

Even with a brand new boat I don't know of another 23' or under that suits my needs so well: 6'3" double bed mid-hull that I'll be extending to 48" wide at night, pop-top with standing room and a private head area which also gives guests a place to change in and out of swimsuits. The boat is much more spacious than the CP-23 and Rhodes 22 models I looked at. I like the later O'Day 23s but I wanted the pop-top and the 8 stays (which my current boat also has). This boat (while with the previous owner) lost the forestay in a storm but the mast did not come down because of the forward stays on the sides.

So considering that the basic boat suits me so well, and was so inexpensive, I figure time invested in the keel is worth it. Rudy also told me this is one of most seaworthy smaller boat O'Day ever made (and one of the most rugged). I like the thick mast and 8 stays. $500 for a boat with solid hull, decks, etc. seems worth the time to work it into what I need. I'll also be rebedding all the deck hardware this spring. I've stripped the standing rigging and will have it all checked by a sailmaker/rigger - replacing what's needed. I can also use standing rigging from the 1973 if it is good.

Anyone come across photos or video documenting the dropping of the keel? I can imagine most of it but pics and video would be nice.

I have more pics of the boat if anyone is curious.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Congratulations on the purchase! I'm sure you'll find it an enjoyable boat to sale.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Congrats on the new boat! One way to smoothly remove the keel is to use a pallet on a pallet dolly. The keel is flat enough on the bottom to sit firmly and without falling over. You need a stout pallet, with something like a 6 foot long 2×12 laying flat on top of pallet.
You can use the pallet dolly to snug the pallet up under the keel - before unbolting.
When you get to the bolts inside, there are 2 rows of bolts running the length of the keel AND one at the front on center that is not obvious. (may also be one on center in back). LOOK TWICE to make sure all bolts are removed before lowering keel and rolling it out from under the boat using dolly.
If your trailer is not open under the keel, you will have to suppend or jack up the boat.
I easily got the keel off my 71 O'Day 23 but the slot had soooo much rust - flakes as big as thick bacon, that I opted to get another boat. Yours will probably be minor. Good luck.