Interview questions for potential boat partnerships

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm in the process of interviewing people for a boat share partnership. What questions would you ask a potential partner?

I'm not opposed to hearing about how to avoid potential issues that may pop up but let's try not to turn this into a "Why a partnership is a horrible idea" thread :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Partnership isn't necessarily a bad idea, whether it works are not depends on how it is structured and who are the partners.

Many partners form an LLC and in the LLC they spell out the particulars of who does what, who pays for what, how to get out of the partnership, etc. It will cost a few dollars to have an attorney prepare one, in the end it will be money well spent.

The big questions are:

Can the partner afford his/her share?
What are the partner's expectations?
What skills does the partner bring?
How much use does the partner expect?
Who makes the final decisions on things?

Those are my first ideas, early in the morning. ;)

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Our boat has been a partnership for more than 20 years. Questions to ask include:
What kind of sailing do you like and expect to do?
What kind of boat do you think suits that kind of sailing?
Are you available to crew when its “our” boat? Do you expect us to crew when it’s “your” boat?
What level of polish do you expect in a boat? (Bristol or Workboat?)
How much time do you have available for work parties/upkeep?
How much are you willing/expecting to pay for upkeep/maintenance? ... (Are you expecting to do the work, or are you expecting to pay to have it done? Are you capable/do you know how to do the work?)
Dave’s skills question is right on target. Our partner is an electrical engineer, so he takes care of the mechanics, wiring, and electronics. I handle the carpentry, rigging, paint and varnish. Picking the right boat has been instrumental in our success. We race, cruise, daysail, party, and look forward to more of same.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Another point , what happens when one person wants out ? Will the boat be sold ? Who determines what is a fair price . Who determines when something needs to be replaced ? What happens if one party doesn't have or is unwilling to pay their part ? How far ahead would one party have to "reserve the boat " for a holiday weekend

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The boat partnerships that I have known to have broken down were usually because one of the partners stopped being actively involved but didn't want to or just wouldn't give up their share. This usually ends up in the less-active partner not contributing to maintenance either in the form of elbow grease or financially or both. In one case both partners are still actively sailing the boat but one is not contributing as much as the other would like which leads to discord.
A question might be how would you handle a situation where one partner would like to put some money into the boat (for sails, new bottom paint, new cushions, repair damage... ) but the other partner does not want to.
Another question might be to find out if they enjoy working on boats or sailing more. Some actually enjoy the working on boats part but it would not be fair to take advantage of that unless it was understood up front.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm setting this up as a "trade work for access to boat" type of arrangement. Unless the other partner damages the boat, I'm financially responsible. Either party is able to terminate the contract at any time

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm setting this up as a "trade work for access to boat" type of arrangement. Unless the other partner damages the boat, I'm financially responsible. Either party is able to terminate the contract at any time
Just make sure your insurance is set up with the other party named in the policy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So, my wife and I were in a partnership situation w/ another married couple for 5 yr in our Pearson 30 in FL b/f we bought out their interest and moved that boat to CA. In terms of questions, I frankly would be reluctant to enter a boat partnership with “strangers.” We knew our partners socially and were friends before committing to a boat partnership. Plus, we shared a wider group of sailing friends. We also held similar political views and could talk about them, etc. They were knowledgeable about boating having spent time in early marriage delivering a boat or two, etc. They each had jobs. So, we knew a lot about each other. Still, we had a written agreement regarding use of the boat that we both respected.

So, the important questions for strangers, if there were any, might be.

“Could you afford the cost of ownership of this boat on your own for at least 3 or 4 months?” I think it’s folly to enter a partnership with someone who could not afford to carry the boat if something interrupted the partnership, such as temporary loss of significant income from one or the other side.

“How many days / weeks / weekends per year do you anticipate using the boat: how, and where?” This number has to be in the range of someone with regular local commitments. Such as one, or at most two, weekend(s) per month, or a month or less per year of continuous use, etc. No taking the boat to Mexico or to the Bahamas for six months, etc.

“What routine maintenance tasks could you do on your own?” Such as, change primary and secondary fuel filters, change the oil, tighten the belts, inspect or repair other systems, including electrical, etc. Let that person come up with them.

“How stable is your employment and family relationship?” Since I’m not the government, I think it is OK to ask about personal situations, etc. As many know, job transfers and divorce or other types of family breakups can kill partnerships with nasty consequences.

I might also have to work in some politically-nuanced questions such as views on certain kinds of regulations and respective compliance questions, etc. The kinds of things that might get the boat in trouble if not properly attended, etc. Including stuff that might lead to arguments among the principals.

From acceptable answers to these basic parameters, a written partnership agreement might be possible.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The boat partnerships that I have known to have broken down were usually because one of the partners stopped being actively involved but didn't want to or just wouldn't give up their share. This usually ends up in the less-active partner not contributing to maintenance either in the form of elbow grease or financially or both. In one case both partners are still actively sailing the boat but one is not contributing as much as the other would like which leads to discord.
A question might be how would you handle a situation where one partner would like to put some money into the boat (for sails, new bottom paint, new cushions, repair damage... ) but the other partner does not want to.
Another question might be to find out if they enjoy working on boats or sailing more. Some actually enjoy the working on boats part but it would not be fair to take advantage of that unless it was understood up front.
If you have a written agreement, one party can notice the other on the desire to withdraw from the partnership accordingly. For example, the withdrawing party has the obligation to assist in finding another acceptable partner for the remaining one. After a short period, however, the boat would be put up for sale or the remaining partner buys out the other. That’s why each partner must to able to afford the boat as sole owner for a time if necessary.

“Damage” repair is obligatory. The partner committing the damage sees to the repair, and pays for it outright, or pays the deductible. If it is a total loss, partners split the insurance settlement, etc. But, if you lose a winch handle, you buy another.

Toward the end our partners stopped using the boat much. I was doing most of the routine upkeep. One day I thought I was going to get PO’ed until I realized that if I was the sole owner, I’d still be doing the work PLUS covering the whole tab, instead of only half of it. That calmed me down!!

When they (or we) did use the boat, it had to be left clean. All personal stuff off. No trash or garbage left behind. Holding tank emptied and rinsed. Anything broken of a routine nature reported and fixed. (This was a shared expense. But, the couple getting off had to do the legwork and see to that repair unless big; in which case we’d work together on it.) Icebox drained and “sanitized.” Basically, as you would do for a charter return.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
In that case you want to insure their skills, abilities and workmanship are up to the work you want performed. I've got a friend that took a tall ship thru a hurricane I'd trust to sail my boat but he couldn't do an oil change.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Either party is able to terminate the contract at any time
What happens should one partner wish to terminate the partnership just after doing some (severe or not) damage to the boat?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
What happens should one partner wish to terminate the partnership just after doing some (severe or not) damage to the boat?
Good Point. I can word a contract so that they are still liable for any damage and that damage must be dealt with in a timely manner.

This boat isnt the most expensive one out there. I can afford it on my own but it would be VERY nice to have some help with the numerous repairs and improvements. In addition each partner may learn something new from one another.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Good Point. I can word a contract so that they are still liable for any damage and that damage must be dealt with in a timely manner.

This boat isnt the most expensive one out there. I can afford it on my own but it would be VERY nice to have some help with the numerous repairs and improvements. In addition each partner may learn something new from one another.
"Timely manner" for us was about two weeks or less. The goal is not to interfere w/ the other partners' use of the boat if avoidable for "damage" you might have caused. Like losing the anchor, bending the Bimini frame, breaking a running light, allowing a batten to slide out and be lost, allowing a headsail to flag/flog & rip, blowing out a chute, clogging the head, or similar. Running the mast into a fixed bridge and breaking it, or running the boat agrounds, bending a rudder post, or wrapping the prop and bending the shaft, might take a lot longer to fix, of course.

Consider what you could be letting yourself in for here!:huh: I think I'd collect a $2,000 damage deposit.

Last edited: