Interstate Trailer Sailing

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Ditto LeeandRick and will add ..................... most states allow boats that are less than 8'6” to travel without a wide load permit. If your boat or the trailer guide posts exceed that, you will need a wide load permit to travel. You will need a separate permit for every state you pass through, and you will need to obtain them before your trip.
Uh…
The H170 has a 7’ beam:banghead:

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Were it me I'd put new bearings in and keep the old ones as spares

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
Were it me I'd put new bearings in and keep the old ones as spares
When the holidays are over, I will get the boat off the trailer and pull the wheels. I'm getting new tires and at least one W/T assembly for a spare. I'll get the bearing numbers and replace them. I have a few other things to do as well. Thanks.

FWIW, the boat isn't going to the beach for the reason previously stated.
"There will be plenty of help to launch but..... That help will be a bunch of kids that insist on having a fully stocked cooler. I don't feel like arguing, with a bunch of drunk kids, that they must wear a PFD. "

Dec 23, 2018
Newport 17 Mobile
No trailer registration required in Alabama for single axle trailers. If your boat registration is current and you will be in Florida for less than 90 days your good to go. I take a 17' trailer sailor to Pensacola for a couple of weeks each summer.

Feb 15, 2022
Macgreger 26s Key West Fl.
Ditto LeeandRick and will add ..................... most states allow boats that are less than 8'6” to travel without a wide load permit. If your boat or the trailer guide posts exceed that, you will need a wide load permit to travel. You will need a separate permit for every state you pass through, and you will need to obtain them before your trip.
You really do not need a wide load permit if you are pulling your own trailer and boat. i can tell you from many trips around the country with a 12 ft. wide boat. i thought I did and was pulled over and checked. The cop looked at my permit then asked for my DOT nunbers . I told him it was my boat and had the regestration to prove it. He asked why did I get a WL permit? if its your boat you do not need one.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
To be fair, if you tow over boat trailer > 8.5' wide it is prudent to check with each state on their permit requirements.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
To be fair, if you tow over boat trailer > 8.5' wide it is prudent to check with each state on their permit requirements.
:plus:

Yep. Virginia requires it for any boat over 8.5" but I've seen a lot of 10" boats on the road. I think it is someplace in the $25 range to get one.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
I just put homemade guides on the trailer. I used PVC and they are angled to the boat. That put the ends at about 8'. Legal, yes. Safe, no. They were just perfect to catch me in the face. A heat gun fixed the issue.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I just put homemade guides on the trailer. I used PVC and they are angled to the boat. That put the ends at about 8'. Legal, yes. Safe, no. They were just perfect to catch me in the face. A heat gun fixed the issue.
Fixed the face?

• Ha

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Ha Ha! You guys need to go sailing.

Dave, I ran a 2x4 across the trailer and attached long bolts to it. I put PVC pipe over the bolts and secured it.
The 2x4 also cradles the center board. I'll post a photo tonight.