Interstate Trailer Sailing

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have a wedding to attend next summer. I rank weddings in the group with colonoscopies. The only silver lining is that the wedding is on the beach in Florida. We will be staying all weekend and our motel is also on the beach. My boat and pilot are fully licensed in Alabama. Do I need to do anything special to satisfy Florida? I will call Florida but the information here should be more reliable. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
From my experience, trailer sailing around the country, states except other states registration and boater safety cards. Many states require a quagga mussel sticker and inspection. The stickers are available online in most states and cost $15-$35. I don't think Florida does the mussel thing but you might check. If you come out west you can expect to be, injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected as Arlo Guthrie said, at the mussel inspection stations.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto LeeandRick and will add ..................... most states allow boats that are less than 8'6” to travel without a wide load permit. If your boat or the trailer guide posts exceed that, you will need a wide load permit to travel. You will need a separate permit for every state you pass through, and you will need to obtain them before your trip.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
From my experience, trailer sailing around the country, states except other states registration and boater safety cards. Many states require a quagga mussel sticker and inspection. The stickers are available online in most states and cost $15-$35. I don't think Florida does the mussel thing but you might check. If you come out west you can expect to be, injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected as Arlo Guthrie said, at the mussel inspection stations.
Thanks. Don't forget the 8x10 glossy photos.;)

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Ditto LeeandRick and will add ..................... most states allow boats that are less than 8'6” to travel without a wide load permit. If your boat or the trailer guide posts exceed that, you will need a wide load permit to travel. You will need a separate permit for every state you pass through, and you will need to obtain them before your trip.
I will add the guides this winter and stay within 8'. Thanks. Alabama doesn't require registration for the trailer provided the boat is attached. That is one I need to check.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I'm generally in the same state of sedation for both and remember about the same from either.

Where in FLA is the wedding?

The registration on the trailer wont be a problem down here so long as the trailer is attached to your car registered in Alabama.

Make sure your lights work and you likely will not have any issues.
I'd also recommend a spare tire and a spare set of bearings for a trip that long.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
... If you come out west you can expect to be, injected, inspected, detected, infected, neglected and selected as Arlo Guthrie said, at the mussel inspection stations.
So we'll wait for it to come around on the guitar, here and sing it when it does. Here it comes

You can get anything you want...

On my daughter's 18th birthday Introduced her and her boyfriend to Alice and he set about learning to play it which is no simple tack.
His lieutenant colonel dad was none too thrilled with hearing it in his house. :biggrin::laugh:

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you are towing the H170 you will not have a problem. You should check with the hotel if they allow you to drop the trailer in their parking for your stay.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
I'm generally in the same state of sedation for both and remember about the same from either.

Where in FLA is the wedding?

The registration on the trailer wont be a problem down here so long as the trailer is attached to your car registered in Alabama.

Make sure your lights work and you likely will not have any issues.
I'd also recommend a spare tire and a spare set of bearings for a trip that long.
Panama City Beach. I have some minor repairs due on the trailer, new tires, inspect and repack of bearings, replacement of the hitch, replacement of the runners and addition of guides. My deckhand/wife wanted a gift list and I said "cash". etrailer.com will know me on a "first name basis" when I am done.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
If you are towing the H170 you will not have a problem. You should check with the hotel if they allow you to drop the trailer in their parking for your stay.
Also, will they allow me to launch a boat from their beach. I know the beach is public. Can 6 people carry a boat from the parking lot to it? There is public access next door so that may not be an issue but I do want to be a model guest.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
@Tater, If you decide to launch from the beach make sure someone videos it. I want to see it. :cool: Launching a catamaran from the beach is fairly easy but an open boat is another thing. Every time I sailed at PCB with my catamaran there was an onshore breeze and you had to wade out through the waves to get deep enough to put the rudders down. Then turn the boat 45° and jump on before it left you or started being pushed back on the beach. All while bouncing around in the waves. An open boat should be exciting. If you have a couple of people to hold the boat while you get in to it might work best.

There is a boat launch at St. Andrews State Park at the end of the peninsula on the inside. You could launch there and sail around Sandy Point and through the cut to the Gulf if the wind is cooperative. If you have some type of engine or trolling motor it would be pretty easy. Not sure where you are staying but it's about 7 miles from the cut to the Miller pier.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
@Tater, If you decide to launch from the beach make sure someone videos it. I want to see it. :cool: Launching a catamaran from the beach is fairly easy but an open boat is another thing. Every time I sailed at PCB with my catamaran there was an onshore breeze and you had to wade out through the waves to get deep enough to put the rudders down. Then turn the boat 45° and jump on before it left you or started being pushed back on the beach. All while bouncing around in the waves. An open boat should be exciting. If you have a couple of people to hold the boat while you get in to it might work best.

There is a boat launch at St. Andrews State Park at the end of the peninsula on the inside. You could launch there and sail around Sandy Point and through the cut to the Gulf if the wind is cooperative. If you have some type of engine or trolling motor it would be pretty easy. Not sure where you are staying but it's about 7 miles from the cut to the Miller pier.
Well, you have me thinking.

I would hope PCB generates sea breezes so I could do it like the old fishermen did.

There will be plenty of help to launch but..... That help will be a bunch of kids that insist on having a fully stocked cooler. I don't feel like arguing, with a bunch of drunk kids, that they must wear a PFD.

St. Andrews is looking better. I have a small O/B that would get to the Bay easy enough. I wouldn't trust it to take me into the Gulf however.

The point is, if you haven't noticed yet, I will not stay at the venue the with party animals. Maybe I'll take the canoe and play in the lagoon at St. Andrews. I spent my childhood vacations there so why not! Thanks.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
The point is, if you haven't noticed yet, I will not stay at the venue the with party animals. Maybe I'll take the canoe and play in the lagoon at St. Andrews. I spent my childhood vacations there so why not! Thanks.
Yea, I spent my childhood vacations there also back when PCB was a few houses on stilts and a couple of one story motels. Popup camper at St. Andrews. Just to date myself we used that popup in the original campground at Gulf Shores State Park and you had to put quarters in the electric meter for your site.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Yea, I spent my childhood vacations there also back when PCB was a few houses on stilts and a couple of one story motels. Popup camper at St. Andrews. Just to date myself we used that popup in the original campground at Gulf Shores State Park and you had to put quarters in the electric meter for your site.
We may have played in the sand together. I remember those motels. Peek's is still there under a different name. I don't remember the other names. I do remember that the owner of one of them lived close in Birmingham and we would stop at his house for a key in the off season. St. Andrews was fun camping and you could play at the Jettys even on Red Flag Days.

My stepson commented recently that old people have sailboats. Well, so be it!

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
@Tater
I am referring to you boat. Started flight training at NAS Pensacola but many years ago
I bought a 2006 Hunter 170 in October. I have sailed it twice. If this mild weather holds, I should have all the bugs out soon.

The wife and I caught the Blue Angels at Pensacola NAS a few years ago. It was a great show but reminded me of why I got out of aviation. I also added the lighthouse to my list.