Interresting Technology Watermaker

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Anyone following this development? Looks like a great alternative to RO de-salinators if it can work by generating water from the humidity in the air.. Uses only a small fan and some UV to sterilize the water.. Cast is about $1000 today, which, if it works with such low energy, would be great for cruisers..

AWN NANOTECH PRODUCT
Near-Zero Energy Water Harvesting
Inspired by nature, AWN Nanotech provides a disruptive energy efficient technology platform generating drinking quality freshwater from the air. The product is based on our patented nanotextile (P53958US00) capable of extracting water from atmosphere at a rate of 5 to 12 litres per squared meter per hour in relative humidity conditions of 20% or more. System design is highly scalable and modular. It can be customized to meet the need of industrial customers, community infrastructure or individual households. Our 20 litres per day prototype is fully integrated with a solar panel, filter and a UV light to capture, treat and dispense quality potable water. AWN Nanotech product is superior to competitors, being more energy and cost efficient (see table below). It can also operate at any geographical location and under any conditions and relative humidity.

More Info.
Green Tech

Cost Efficient

Geography Independent

and: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/03/06/water-harvester-technology/#.XBFYbvZFyUk

Nov 6, 2006
The only power for this one is a computer fan, maybe 1 ampere @ 12V, .. note the solar panel and small battery to drive the fan....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Very interesting. I'm interested in something like that for my 19' trailer sailer.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
I wrote to 'em to see if it'd work OK in a sailboat at sea.. not sure how the little bit of salt in the air might affect the thing, especially over the long run.. It looks like it would be pretty small if ya got rid of the solar and battery and just ran it off the house bank..

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thanks Claude; I love these kind of technologies because they have potential to address some very big global issues, like say safe, cleaning drinking water. That is a BIG issue or issues because access to safe drinking water is at the center of health, crime, and conflict around the globe.

The challenge is always how usable the tech is to people who need it. People are pretty resourceful and I have found that you can usually find a few villagers who are born engineers, capable of troubleshooting and maintaining a given technology. But it has to be simple, durable and repairable. It isn’t like Amazon will deliver replacement parts, especially if bandits are shooting at you.

This thing looks promising. But does it provide a 1st world solution (low energy water production) with a 3rd world problem - wonky complicated technology prone to frequent down time. Where do I get that nano-fabric stuff in the middle of the Nagev desert when a dust storm renders the stuff clogged? What is the duty cycle. How easy are they to maintain. All important questions. Me, I go to the tap and turn on my water filter and drink the water my tax dollars delivered to the kitchen. On board I drink the safe drinking water I purchased at the store. We got it good!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I wrote to 'em to see if it'd work OK in a sailboat at sea.. not sure how the little bit of salt in the air might affect the thing, especially over the long run
I thought the same thing. Their marketing picture looks like a desert, but a salty sea environment might be a different thing.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I wrote to 'em to see if it'd work OK in a sailboat at sea.. not sure how the little bit of salt in the air might affect the thing, especially over the long run.. It looks like it would be pretty small if ya got rid of the solar and battery and just ran it off the house bank..
I wrote and asked similar questions. They may have found a new market.

Being a freshwater guy, I'm not that familiar with how salt is carried in the air. Are small (microscopic) salt crystals carried in the air? Or is the salt in solution in small (microscopic) drops of water?

Nov 6, 2006
I really don’t t that one, dlochner. My guess is that salt water exists as an aerosol in the air up to about 15 feet above the surface. The amount is probably related to how much wave action/ spray there is, but that is just a guess on my part.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very Interesting. The material apppeared to me to be a promo for the work the Utah Lab was still discovering. Not yet ready for “Prime Time” (order it from Amazon deliver tomorrow - via a drone).

With much of the worlds population living near a water source (ocean or sea coast) there is likely greater than 20% humidity available to reduce the dependence on ground water sources.

It will be interesting to see how it adapts to a marine environ. One of the advantages of nuclear powered ships was the available power. This meant the desalination machinery could produce unending volumes of water on a boat. In days before nuclear power water availability was limited to available fuel capacity. Fuel meant the difference between floating or going somewhere. So showers gave way to mobility.

Keep an eye on this. Very interesting. Thank you @kloudie1

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
how salt is carried in the air
Normally it is associated with wind and waves. Coastal Areas with "surf" carry the salty mist inland.
So on a calm cruising day, no salty mist.;)

The fan is used to get the volume of air, but the production is directly related to the relative humidity.

Good calm sunny day, water maker for sailors.
Jim...

Oct 14, 2018
Hunter 310 Deale, MD
Awesome, thank you for posting this product and technology. Let's keep after this. JStew

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wonder what that little contraption costs for a residential application?