Internal mast electrical conduit size?

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Original 1989 Catalina 22 internal mast wiring conduit inside ID dimension?
I may need to fish a new wiring harness up into my mast and remembered the last time I did it the conduit was very tight for the harness. I'm concidering changing it out with a larger diameter as per the CD instructions.
I am guess the original one is only 1/4" ID

Thanks

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
sounds about right only had 3 14 ga wires in it max

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
The new harness starts with 4 wires then changes to a 2 wire for the anchor light and a 3 wire for the steaming/ deck light.

Sep 14, 2014
Hey I wonder if you can skip a wire by grounding out to the mast as a common ground for all fixtures, hmmmm?

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I recently re-wired my mast. Six wires for me, two positives and a negative to the steaming / deck light, and another two positives and a negative to the anchor and Windex light.

I don't have a conduit in mine, I just ran the wires inside wire loom.

Conduit is probably better, but I wasn't sure how to run conduit up the mast.

Sep 14, 2014
I did same thing with separate ground wire for anchor lite and steaming light runs. figured if ground goes out all dead this way each isolated pair. Just ran pair up mast interior with zip ties every couple of feet with end sticking out, have exterior halyards anyway and this way no slapping inside the mast of wires.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hey I wonder if you can skip a wire by grounding out to the mast as a common ground for all fixtures, hmmmm?
I read somewhere using 2 wires for 2 lights by putting diodes in the circuit. YMMV.

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I have four interior halyards, along with the wire loom filled with six wires. I was a bit concerned about the loom slapping around and making a lot of noise, but so far it hasn't been an issue.

Rillo

Apr 21, 2019
Catalina C22 Bear Lake
I rewired my 1987 this spring. The conduit appeared to be a very light wall 1/2” pipe. All but 2 of the pop rivers mounting the conduit had broken thru the conduit. I replaced it with PVC conduit, I think that it was 3/4” sch 40. I ran my wiring harness and antenna coax thru it. Those pop rivers protrude into the conduit and eat up some of the space, so bigger is better. The original cable was very light gauge, nothing like the replacement harness.

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I rewired my 1987 this spring. The conduit appeared to be a very light wall 1/2” pipe. All but 2 of the pop rivers mounting the conduit had broken thru the conduit. I replaced it with PVC conduit, I think that it was 3/4” sch 40. I ran my wiring harness and antenna coax thru it. Those pop rivers protrude into the conduit and eat up some of the space, so bigger is better. The original cable was very light gauge, nothing like the replacement harness.
How did you get the pop rivets to work for the replacement conduit?

Rillo

Apr 21, 2019
Catalina C22 Bear Lake
The pop rivets worked fine. The standard method is to drill a pair of holes in the mast every 3 or 4 feet. One hole is for the rivet the other hole is for a rigid wire that is formed so that it hooks the conduit and draws it tight against the rivet hole. I had a buddy help me out. He held the conduit while I match drilled it and installed the pop rivets. I used 1/8” welding wire to form the hook. It worked remarkably well. You will have to cut the side out of the conduit at the deck/steaming light.