Interior wood varnish h41ac 2004

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Hello all,

We have had an extra shelf made for the forecabin in our H41 AC (2004 year) and it is just plain wood. What stain or varnish colour do we need to get it to match the existing wood?

Thanks

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I have a 2003 466 and I used Dalys Sea Fin teak oil. Not sure if that will match your wood though.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I think you're saying the wood is "plaiin" meaning unstained. You didn't say what kind of unstained wood so I'm assuming it is not the same as the wood used by Hunter.

In that case you will be trying to stain it to match. You'll probably have to to mix your own stain since stains look different on different woods. Hopefully you have some of the unstained wood left. Make test pieces. Buy several stains that look about right and start experimenting. You'll probably have to try several mixes and you may want to let them dry and apply a coat of whatever varnish you plan on using since the varnish or finish will change the color some. Good luck. If your Hunter is like mine I started with Minwax Cherry as the base and added I think a dash of Walnut and maybe some Mahogany but it was a tedious job. Good luck

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
I think a mix of cherry and walnut will be very close. I used that on cabinet grade pine for some doors and got a perfect match after the varnish. (2005 H 420) Probably the same wood interior.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I have used Minwax stain on several projects over the years. Unfortunately, the local Big Box stores have scaled back their inventory selections or Minwax stopped making the particular color that was a match. At any rate, I have had to buy two or three colors and custom blend them to come up with a match.
"Red Oak" was the base color and a more 'yellow' color was added to tone down the red. If you have some scrap wood available, or buy some oak shelving, you can do test squares to get the best mix to match. Just keep track of the formulas for each square.
(I see others have the same idea!)