Interior wood trim repair or other ideas

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Hey, see the attached pictures for what’s broken...wondering if I want to replace it as-is (or repair it if that’s possible, it might be...) is there somewhere locally that someone can recommend?

Or alternatively, I was thinking about having something made with starboard and not having the plexi part at all and maybe make it a couple inches shorter. Anywhere locally that someone could recommend for that?

It’s a side-splash for the galley sink. The wood is cherry I think.

Attachments

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
It seems to me you have a couple of options, at least. If it were me, I'd unscrew the plexi, then probably remove the finish from the wood. I would either router the wood along the broken edge to accept some biscuits to be glued or maybe just drill some holes to plug in some dowels likewise attaching the wood pieces with glue and then refinish with a poly varnish.

Otherwise, a trip to TAP plastics in South Lake Union with your pieces. They can cut a piece of starboard trimmed similar to your wood and attach the plexi piece. Or, as you mentioned dispense with the plexi and go all starboard to whatever height you choose. They do all sorts of stuff custom cut and they're used to us boaters with weird requests.:yikes:

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I was expecting an email notification when someone replied so I didn't look until today...

I forgot about TA Plastics, I live nearby so I'll probably go check that option out.

The break is pretty clean, I bet with the dowel idea that would get it back together without anyone judging my design decisions with the starboard option.

Second question would then be what to use to attach it to the counter top. It's a sealant type (clear and rubbery) but I had to run a blade down the edge to get it to release after the screws were out. Any ideas what it might be?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I'm with Will, I don't even think pins are required, my old woodshop teacher used to say "The screws are just to clamp the pieces together until the glue dries."

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"The screws are just to clamp the pieces together
...and dowels are for alignment. The glue joint will fail after the wood has.

The backsplash was probably held in place with silicone, as bad as sailors feel about the stuff, it still works great in a kitchen (galley) environment.

If you want a permanent bond, sand through the finish and epoxy.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Forbin.
What caused this to fail? Someone grab it? Push it instead of the dishes?

The though of a splash screen is nice. The design puts a lot of momentum at the top of the plexiglass against the wood. It would appear that the glue repair will be temporary (perhaps a few years or one bad sailing day when a tug boat wake hits and the Sink washer grabs the "shield" to steady them self). As will any Starboard/Plexiglass setup, if not at the same place maybe at the screw attachment.

I would look at the arrangement and see if there is not a more stout shield you might construct. Something that can be grabbed in an emergency. It seems that waving plastic in the air is what caused the wood frame to break. To do it with such a clean break suggests the force was quite strong.

pilott

Dec 19, 2016
Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35 Kemah
If you want to go the Starboard route, and if the item is less than 20" long: Sams Club sells a 15" x 20 " x 1/2" cutting HDPE board for around $8.50.
HDPE is the generic term for starboard.
These cutting boards cut & machine easily with woodworking tools.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
What caused this to fail? Someone grab it? Push it instead of the dishes?
Yes, someone grabbed it for stability...didn't quite work out. Not quite a tug wake, but I like those too ;-)

I would look at the arrangement and see if there is not a more stout shield you might construct. Something that can be grabbed in an emergency. It seems that waving plastic in the air is what caused the wood frame to break.
This is why I was looking at starboard to maybe do something 1/3 the height of the original that's solid. The majority for the splashing happens at the lowest level, and frankly the cushion closest is where the dog likes to sit anyway so it's usually covered with towel.

Brian

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Worked with the Starboard stuff before on a number of projects. Does not hold wood screws very well. Best to through bolt the material if it will undergo any kind of stress. Also, a long piece will tend to sag over time if left unsupported. It does not have the structural strength like wood, but it does hold up well to the environment.

Oct 22, 2014
I guessing you understand the utility of this project. So much leverage sitting there and so tempting to grab. Likely why the outcome.

How about a picture of the area You are trying to address. Pretty sure gentle wash cycle is not in the cards. Not saying we can come up with a better mousetrap, but who knows. There are a lot of bright and ingenious sailors on this forum.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
How many years has this back splash lasted? 30 years?
I wouldn’t try to “reinvent the wheel” on this project.
I would simply glue & clamp with tite bond waterproof wood glue ( and dowels if you wish). As Will mentioned, the wood will fail before the glue joint will. If you desire, decrease the height of the plexiglass as necessary to reduce the leverage if someone grabs it again.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
How about a picture of the area You are trying to address
I went looking for a photo because I don't have one of the interior, but I think the issue has been identified, and that is that none of the others have the plexiglass, which makes sense because of the reasons discussed here. Attached is one I found online with the location of the plexiglass on mine outlined in red.

So I think I'll glue it back together as-is and perhaps shorten or remove the plexi entirely...

Thanks for all the input.

Any suggestions on the silicone to re-attach it to the counter top once it's repaired?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
I can see that. PO put the plexiglass there to protect the cushions from washing spray. Unfortunately, it is also a convenient object to grab or knock into.

You might try a shorter piece (cut your pice in half). Then it will save Half the splash. Not sure how much fun you have going in the sink. Not bathing babies. I did that in a sink and there was water everywhere.

Alternate idea would be to try a plexiglas shield attached to the cabinet. 4 screws through the Plexiglas into the cabinet. You will still have the issue of grabbing the nearest object, but it would be the plexiglas and the wood fiddle would not be touched.

I like the "glue it back together" plan. You will likely not notice the glued split once you revarnish. Since it is not a major grab point it should last thru the next two owners.

I avoid silicone. I would probably try ButylTape to seal it.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Hey all. I ended up gluing the wood back together and re-attaching it, looks good and we'll see how long it lasts. Thanks for the all the input!