Interior Layout Options Lancer 30'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp222

May 27, 2009
2 Lancer 30 San Francisco
Hi Everyone,

I am going to look at 2 Lancer 30's for sale here in the bay area later this week.
The one layout I am most familiar with searching online, the open interior with oversized v-berth with large aft double - 1985 yr.

The other, which is much better priced (although missing stove, fridge and inboard engine- has long outboard) I do not know what interior layout she is (waiting for the owner to respond, he's been a little bit unclear). This boat is a 1976.

Can anyone tell me what interior layouts were made for the 1976 models? (30' Lancer's)?
I REALLY want the large unique open v-berth model OR I gotta have the u-shaped salon on the starboard model, since I may not sleep OK in the vberth so need the salon to be my sleeping quarters (plan on living on her 2-3 days a week with my pooch).

Appreciate any knowledge and feel free to tell me what you like and dislike about your Lancer 30'

thanks!
CP :D

Jun 3, 2009
2 Lancer 28 Florida
I'm in Florida and the bigest problem we have is humidity and/or salt spray. It gets into the foam under the carpet and one does not feel it until it gets hot.
I bought a 1979 28' (better said my wife bought it instructed me to fix it). I basically tore out every piece of carpet and wood, and placed it with Homedepot plastic board. Took a long time, but I lost lost of weight (due to the heat) and now I can use the hose to clean the grandkids' mess (the frig and batteries et al are in waterproofed compartment).
Lancers are coast huggers so there is not need for 'furniture' except for cushions and nosem screen, but that is Fla. we don't have cold nor big waves. It just quiet and mostly flat.
This was not direct to your question, but I hope it helps.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
From what I found on line, Lancer didn't build the 29 until 1977 (or the 28 for that matter). They re-designated it the 30 in 1980. There are two reviews on this site that indicate that there might be an interior change with time, but all the 29's and 30's I have seen have the big vee forward with the head aft.

The 29/30 has the reputation of being a sweet sailor, but is light at only 7800 lbs with 3000 lbs of ballast. In contrast, my S2 is 9,800 lbs with 4000 lbs of ballast and a Catalina 30 is about 12,000 lbs, but is much beamier. That might make it a pretty lively craft for San Fran harbor, which I haven't sailed, but which I understand to be quite windy. It might prove important to know whether it is a "dry" boat or if a dodge is included...you might need one.

I'd opt for the best boat you can afford, especially if you have your heart set on one boat. In particular, I'd expect the price of an older 29 with an outboard to be HALF that of the newer boat with a diesel inboard, or perhaps less, as it sounds like the interior might be in rough shape.

In general, the newer Lancer boats tended to have many small opening ports, vs. larger fixed ports in the older boats. The large fixed ports tend to leak like sieves and compromise the integrity of the cabin structure, so be careful.

Also, in my opinion, headliners in boats suck. You can't get to the back of your hardware. It is difficult to track leaks and they invariably get damaged or sag. My current boat has a headliner glued to the cabin roof with the hardware exposed. That is a vast improvement over the headliner in my Lancer 25, but it has lost adhesion in several places and needs re-gluing.

Craig

Jul 5, 2009
2 cruiser Dana Point
Re: Found a 79 29 footer with a different interior

Thanks, that's the sailboat I purchased. Currently remodeling the interior and painting exterior. Any suggestions of who can reupholster in the Southern California area would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.