Interior Bulkhead Question on O’Day 20

def

Jul 19, 2019
Oday 20 East Tennessee
I just bought a 1974 O’Day 20. It is in good shape overall, just needing some tlc.

I am brand new to sailing. My question is whether the bulkhead between the v-berth and the rest of the cabin is structural? I am considering removing or at least reducing this bulkhead to open up the small cabin.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Oh, you mean that bulkhead that the mast is sitting on, the only full bulkhead in the whole boat? No, go ahead, cut away! [/sarc]

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@def
Welcome to the forum and to sailing!

I think perhaps you accidentally posted in the “Hunter” daysailer forum.
There is an entire section of this site devoted to ODay boats where you are more likely to get boat specific info.

I think what @jviss is saying tongue in cheek is that a bulkhead in most any boat is likely structural and it’s risky to alter it unless of course you are repairing or making it stronger.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
What I mean, in all sincerity and seriousness, is that the bulkhead in question is structural, is the primary structural bulkhead on the boat; maintains the structural integrity and shape of the hull and deck; supports the mast; and probably is the main structural member transferring the forces of the shrouds to the hull. (What do the chainplates attach to?)

Leave it alone! Don't cut it.

def

Jul 19, 2019
Oday 20 East Tennessee
I deserve the sarcasm. I have seen other boats that have opened the cabin up. These are probably boats that will soon have cracked decks.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I think you will quickly find there really aren’t any rules here. Ask your questions anywhere just don’t forget the cardinal rule. :beer:

:worthless: