Interesting to me

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
It's October, and in the Great Lakes, boats are being pulled out of the water for winter storage. Interesting this year is my 1984 28ft O'Day is being stored next to a 1985 28ft O'Day. Same boat??????? NOT!!!!!!
The 85 has a bolted on iron keel. The 84 has an encapsulated lead keel. Both same depth and shape.
The 85 has a shorter wider rudder. The 84 has a narrower longer (deeper) rudder.
The "white" fiberglass is a shade or two different from the other.
The pedestal steering is slightly different.

Anyone know the story as to these differences? I thought I read that O'Day had two manufacturing locations, each doing a specific "model" of O'Day. Could it be that the 28's were built in two different locations? The difference on the rudders is a small item. The different keels is a bit bigger of a ordeal.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had an 85 O’Day 28 with a bolt-on lead keel. I think there were changes made in the middle of the 85 model year also. Ours was a “later” 85, and had new features like enclosed storage behind the settees. I don’t know if they changed the keel as part of that.

Ours was also a shoal draft drawing 3’7”. I think the deep draft was 4’7”. That probably affected rudder shape too. This was ours:
1697507178442.jpeg

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
My '85 28 was built in May of 1985, near the end of the model year. FYI, model years from from 1 July of the previous year to 30 June. Mine has the aforementioned enclosed storage about the settees and the bolted keel. Mine is also the standard 4.5' draft. My build sequence number is 624, which is interesting because according to Rudy Nickerson at D&R Marine, 544 28s were built. Another FYI, O'day, like many builders of that era, started their BSNs at 100 or 101 vs. 001. This eliminated having to purposely skip hull #13, and it was thought that it also reduced some customer's resistance to purchasing "the first one off the line." Believe it or not, some builders still do this.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Boats are not cars, where standardization and efficiency are of parmount importance for the bottom line. It is not at all unusual for builders to make changes mid year and from year to year. As the boats are built they realize now more efficient ways to build them and equip them. Also there are the supply chain issues and owner options. Two boats built side by side may come out of the factory looking the same on the outside, but very different in how the systems are installed.

Model years are also 14 months long. So a boat started in June 2000 may be built along side of a 2001 model.

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
Model years are also 14 months long. So a boat started in June 2000 may be built along side of a 2001 model.
I don't know what builders you work with, but my customers are a who's who (including the nice folks who built your vessel) of the upper end of the market, and it is 12 months long. That being said, production planners do use the overlap period allowed (since 2012) by the Coast Guard as a way of dealing with their inability to level load (relative to the auto industry) and also the different Takt times related to semi-custom serial production.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I don't know what builders you work with, but my customers are a who's who (including the nice folks who built your vessel) of the upper end of the market, and it is 12 months long. That being said, production planners do use the overlap period allowed (since 2012) by the Coast Guard as a way of dealing with their inability to level load (relative to the auto industry) and also the different Takt times related to semi-custom serial production.
Right, the last boat or two of a model year may be completed while the first boats of the next model year are being built. However, the HIN numbers will each show the same year, although, the designed model years may be different.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
FWIW: Per the HIN the HULL of my 1987 MODEL year O'day 35 was built in June of 1986:
XDY Z nnnn F 6 87
O'day 35 #nnnn Built: June 1986 Model Year:1987

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
FWIW: Per the HIN the HULL of my 1987 MODEL year O'day 35 was built in June of 1986:XDY Z nnnn F 6 87O'day 35 #nnnn Built: June 1986 Model Year:1987
Interesting. It would seem to me that they laid up your hull in June, and played it safe figuring it would not roll out of the shop until after 1 July.