Interesting Autopilot experience on Hunter 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Day 1 of a 2 week vacation. Motor sailing north on Lake Michigan. Everything going fine when suddenly boat veers to port and the off course alarm on the autopilot sounds.
Put on standby and correct course.
Start looking for the problem.
Do several diagnostic tests and still no luck.
Call dealer service department and unbelievably reach the service manager on a Saturday morning. (not to mention being 8 miles off the Michigan shore calling a dealer in Wisconsin - ain't technology grand? Sometimes !).
More diagnostics while motors sailing at his direction.
Still no success.
Only thing left is to wait until port and start more serious work.
Hoping that it isn't a failure of the electronics that would of course be more difficult to find and to fix.
In port when engine is off and it's quiet start the diagnostic process.
Engage autopilot and execute a port and starboard turn. Can hear drive activate but wheel doesn't move.
Suspecting what problem is. Open the emergency tiller access port and reach in to feel around.
Confirm what I was suspecting. The nut holding the linear drive to the ruder has fallen off and the arm has disconnected. So bad news is that the repair isn't as simple as a fuse, good news is that it's not an electronic component melt down.
Now have to pull the floor panel out. Thankfully had read other posts on here about doing that so I had the insights that you have to pull all the screws and slide the floor out the stern.
Once floor was out, it was a 10 minute fix.
Side benefit is that I've now gotten a chance to clean out all the junk (dirt, spiders, part of a birds nest) that had collected under the floor. And I know have knowledge of a part of the boat I had yet to explore. Always like to have the knowledge of "what's under there, and how does it work".

Jun 21, 2012
Hunter 450 Passage Channel Islands
Thanks for the very useful information. I have 450 Passage and have yet to explore a few areas of the boat such as you just did. Would you happen to have a pic of the area you opened up for the repair?

Thanks again for sharing this experience.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
When you reinstall the floor panel be sure to give each screw a dose of 4200. If you don't you will end up with a wet aft cabin next time it rains. It's amazing how much water can weep down the threads of a screw, collect in the overhead and then drip down onto the berth.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Sorry, I didn't take a picture but it's pretty straightforward.
Metal rod that connects wheel to rudder and the linear drive unit. Nothing else in there.
And yes, i did put some sealant on the threads, but thanks for the reminder. Would not want to be wet.

Rob38

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 38 Severna Park MD
Day 1 of a 2 week vacation. Motor sailing north on Lake Michigan. Everything going fine when suddenly boat veers to port and the off course alarm on the autopilot sounds.
Put on standby and correct course.
Start looking for the problem.
Do several diagnostic tests and still no luck.
Call dealer service department and unbelievably reach the service manager on a Saturday morning. (not to mention being 8 miles off the Michigan shore calling a dealer in Wisconsin - ain't technology grand? Sometimes !).
More diagnostics while motors sailing at his direction.
Still no success.
Only thing left is to wait until port and start more serious work.
Hoping that it isn't a failure of the electronics that would of course be more difficult to find and to fix.
In port when engine is off and it's quiet start the diagnostic process.
Engage autopilot and execute a port and starboard turn. Can hear drive activate but wheel doesn't move.
Suspecting what problem is. Open the emergency tiller access port and reach in to feel around.
Confirm what I was suspecting. The nut holding the linear drive to the ruder has fallen off and the arm has disconnected. So bad news is that the repair isn't as simple as a fuse, good news is that it's not an electronic component melt down.
Now have to pull the floor panel out. Thankfully had read other posts on here about doing that so I had the insights that you have to pull all the screws and slide the floor out the stern.
Once floor was out, it was a 10 minute fix.
Side benefit is that I've now gotten a chance to clean out all the junk (dirt, spiders, part of a birds nest) that had collected under the floor. And I know have knowledge of a part of the boat I had yet to explore. Always like to have the knowledge of "what's under there, and how does it work".
Just a quick note to let you and others know that during my Hunter 38's survey, the floor panel over the tiller arm was removed to check things. The surveyer found a nut sitting under the autopilot drive arm. All were glad we caught the problem before splashing for the sea trial. We put a stainless washer under the nut and tightened it up. I recently took the floor panel off to install a high water bilge through hull and checked the nut. Still tight. Advise all who own a Hunter 38 to check the nut that connect the autopilot to the rudder tiller arm. My boat's a 2005 and the survey was done in 2010.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes

Great info here and I did take that floor out over the rack and pinion steering when installing XM weather,I like taking things apart my whole life and see how things work and have taken many things apart to see what's inside the hidden places of my 07 H-36.
I have a file all about the linear drive in my boat and some place here on this forum some one gave me a file for the H- 38 linear drive.
Nick

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.