Interested in buying a 322

Mar 9, 2016
Irwin Citation 38 Madeira Beach
Any advice from current or past owners on what to look for in these boats would be greatly appreciated. + any coming up for sale of course!

Many thanks in advance...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought a 1988 O'Day 322 2 seasons ago. She is is a fresh water boat (Lake Michigan). I really like her cabin (very liveable for a 32-footer).

Great galleylayout, with 2-bowl sink, refrigeration, and stove/oven.
Rear berth with door, and a v-berth with door. Decent sitting area with table. And a larger head than my 28-foot Hunter.

She sails well, and feels like a "big boat".

Lots of comments about the keel layup on this site that you should review carefully. I have been watching my keel joint, and will try to torque the keel bolts before I put her in the water this spring, but I feel safe on her. I don't sail on the ocean however, and am always not more than 50 miles from one coast or another.

I like her, and she has a lot more character than my Hunter 280.

I have some info, photos and videos on this site:
Www.wcwebs.net/oday322

Greg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2016
Irwin Citation 38 Madeira Beach
I bought a 1988 O'Day 322 2 seasons ago. She is is a fresh water boat (Lake Michigan). I really like her cabin (very liveable for a 32-footer).

Great galleylayout, with 2-bowl sink, refrigeration, and stove/oven.
Rear berth with door, and a v-berth with door. Decent sitting area with table. And a larger head than my 28-foot Hunter.

She sails well, and feels like a "big boat".

Lots of comments about the keel layup on this site that you should review carefully. I have been watching my keel joint, and will try to torque the keel bolts before I put her in the water this spring, but I feel safe on her. I don't sail on the ocean however, and am always not more than 50 miles from one coast or another.

I like her, and she has a lot more character than my Hunter 280.

I have some info, photos and videos on this site:
Www.wcwebs.net/oday322

Greg
Thanks Greg - All the points you made are precisely why we are looking very seriously at this boat, they do seem to sell pretty fast though!

I read up on the keel issue, definitely worth keeping an eye on those bolts - I would even consider taking it off altogether and refixing for peace of mind.