Intel on my new boat (1970 Coronado 23)

Jan 15, 2018
Coronado 23 Oakland
Hello all!
New to the forums. Used to sail sunfish and lasers as a kid, but I found a $500 Coronado 23 and I couldn't pass up the author. I'll be sailing it from Richardson Bay to Coast Guard Island (right off of Alameda. It will be my first time sailing the bay, and admittedly I'm pretty nervous.

I want to learn as much about the hardware of the boat as possible. Any leads, folks?

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I am pretty familiar with the design as I sold them. I probably have brochures and even maybe an owner's manual, but I'd have to confirm that. The rig is simple and not complicated. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help, if I can.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Columbia 23 T and the Coronado 23 have similarities. Counbia Yachts use to have plants in CA and Suffolk,VA long time ago. The founder then merged with other companies to form Whittaker Marine. During the merger, Frank Butler who founded Coronado Yachts, joined in that merger. However,Butler left Whittaker after a year to start Catalina in 1969 thus the Coronado 23 MK II appeared again if memory serves me correctly. You should be able to get parts from Catalina Direct and you could inquire with Dave Groshong with the forum store but poissibly with Catalina Yachts in Florida as the manufacturing plant closed down in CA due to stringent restrictions.
FYI.
Barnacle Bill has graciously offered a copy of the boat brochure which I would take him up on. Thanks Bill. Also there is a website which may be Coronado.org or something along that line. Again this is what memory is telling me

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
welcome Yugen,
What kind of hardware questions do you have? Are you looking for specs, to identify parts, answers to how-to questions, help with repairs or determining if something needs repairs?
$500 for a 23' sailboat is quite an amazing deal. It makes me wonder what kind of work needs to be done and what parts need to be replaced?!

I found this cruiserswiki page for the area you are planning to sail in. Check it out. I didn't know this before, but this looks like a great cruising guide site (cruiserswiki.org).
http://www.cruiserswiki.org/wiki/San_Francisco

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 15, 2018
Coronado 23 Oakland
Hello all!
Thank you for all of your kind words and advice! My biggest worry is the keel. There is about an inch of standing water in the bilge (going to pump it out this weekend, I promise!) and the bolts are rusted to s***. I also experienced a soft grounding at low tide last week. I'm scheduled for a haulout in Berkeley in 15 days, so I will be checking the damage...

Attachments

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
With a conservative approach for weather, find a nice day and go for it. (assuming you have all your required safety equipment.) It should work just like your laser except everything should happen slower and the boat less tender.

Ken

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If I recall there are two hangers bolted into metal that was encapsulated in the fiberglass holding a pin that runs thru the keel. Not sur but if the case do check on that as well as the cable that raises the keel with attention to where it goes thru hull.
One question to you. If the boat is sitting in the water not being sailed, is there no water coming in? If not, do you see water coming in when the boat moves? If not is it coming in when raining? Why these questions will help to figure how to respond what to look for

May 14, 2019
CORONADO 23-2 Home
I have a 74 Coronado 23-2 or mkII and it is a totally different hull than the earlier Coronado 23 I have the 810lb led enclosed shoal keel, I'm not sure if the hardware is the same, but if it is nobody is making replacement turnbuckles the stock length. (right at 6") I'm looking at having a machine shop create some for me out of 304 stainless, as I need to replace a couple on my boat. As far as I can tell the Coronado 23-2 (designed by Alan Payne) was first produced in 1973 and when Columbia bought the company in 1974? or so, they renamed it the Columbia T-23 same hull, but the interior and top sides are different.
Sorry, I'm probably not any help, but good luck hunting...
MarknTara- Wonder Monkey

Dec 3, 2009
Columbia T-26 Florida
Oksailor, I Own a Columbia T-23 and I'm wondering if you could offer me any advice on how you raise your mast ? I purchased the boat recently. Very clean and well furnished but the sale did not include a gin pole nor is there a gin pole hole drilled into the mast. I have the base of the mast attached to the Tabernacle. I have attached all the shrouds and balanced the mast on an x-brace that's lift's the mast about 7ft above the cockpit. Now I'm scratching my head thinking there is no way I'm going to be able to hoist the mast using the Jib Halyard attached to a block in the forestay chain plate. It looks like a gin pole is needed if I’m to accomplish this on my own. I’m also wondering if It’s better to leave the forward lower shroud un-attached when raising. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.