intangible albatross

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A. Hill

hola, amigos; as a fairly recent o'day owner, i am glad to have discovered this site. thanks to the o'day.com folks. right from the start, i should announce to the world that i don't know what i'm doing. i have been out on merely three seperate occasions with the previous owner of the boat and tried once on my own since then. it was not pretty. that occasion was in july and the boat has been moored since. the truth is, between a shortage of free time, a motor that quit recycling water on that same first attempted voyage (had finally gotten my wife to endeavor it with me) (should've waited til i'd been out a few times with a teacher) (but noooooo.........just had to convince her) and the woes of securing a replacement motor while on a tight budget-------i'm getting down-right discouraged. i have owned this boat 14 months and have just one trip to recollect. and it was not a good one! of course, i know enough about life and my track record of bad luck, that i never expected pure silk and smoothe sailing. on the other hand, what a waste to let her just sit. and have been wondering 'what have i gotten myself into?' ah, well; just thought i'd mention it. i do think i made a good purchase. i think the price was a good one, and the boat--she is nice; but i almost feel paralysis creeping in. who knows, in a time in which every condition has a name and is relegated to some kind of syndrome, there might be a catagory for me and this experience. if so, there are likely some proven measures or techniques for climbing out. perhaps i just need to sell and move on. yep, perhaps i should forget the power sounds and stimulation of wind and sail. perhaps i should satisfy this mysterious urge i feel with tilling the soil instead of a rudder. or should i just buy a motorcycle? the problem is, though, that now, as a man i've slept aboard while recalling that as a boy i slept with my toy sailboat. further, my bed at home doesn't move. the problem is, though, that what has until fairly recently seemed another world, now seems just baaaarely within my grasp yet i just can't seem to get a firm grip. so...enough said; honestly (as if it were not apparent) a sympathetic word or two would be welcomed by this guy who would like to say he's a sailor------but, alas, can't seem to manage it or make it happen! is there a sailor in the house? andres hill 10/11

B

Ben Allen - O'Day 26

Don't Give Up Yet.

Andres, You didn't mention what kind of boat you have, but that makes little difference unless your talking about a 40+ footer. If you have a dingy, a daysailer, a weekender, or a coastal cruiser, invite a friend along who has some sailing knowledge. Most sailers will be more than willing to help a fellow owner out in learning the ropes. Start on some days when the winds are light, and just take it step by step. You can learn to sail ANY boat in a day, but it will take many years to perfect. Take this process one step at a time, and you will come to love the sport of sailing, hopefully along with your SO. One other thought, a lot of local colleges and universities off sailing courses which can give you a good general knowledge of sail setup and why a boat reacts the way it does. My wife took this course a year ago, and as a class project, we took the boat out and she had to do everything, start the outboard, set the sails, tack, turn, drop sails, and return to the slip. She did great. As I said eariler, don't give up yet. Ben Allen Montgomery, AL "Wahoo" OD 26

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We've all been there

On my first solo sail (sans instructor) I headed the boat downwind to raise the main (hey, only 180 degrees off) and knocked out a batten of the Islander 32 which nearly killed one of my novice crew. But things did gradually get better from there and a year later I was successfully skippering a Moorings 38 in the Carribean with no problem. It just takes practice. Your engine problem is shame and will no doubt require some professional help, but are you sure it needs to be replaced? Chances are a few hours of work and a part or two and it will be quite dependable. If I were you, I'd make that a high priority. With a dependable engine you'll have the confidence to get out on the boat more and learn what you need to get comfortable. Hang tough! It'll get better... then you'll find yourself out on the perfect day, with the sails perfectly trimmed, the boat slicing through the water without a sound, and you'll be hooked for life.

D

Don Evans

Sailing Funk

Andres, you asked for sympathy. I'll let someone else do that. If your looking for a friendly boot in the butt, here it comes. Wham! Not everyone is born to sail. Some have to work a bit at it, kinda like acquired taste. To bad you have had some negative experiences, but have not all of us at some time or another been knocked back down. You did not say what you bought. Perhaps its a bit much to handle alone. Start with a slow march. Get back on board with someone who can show you correctly. Buy some lessons, join a club, read some books this winter, charter with a skipper...whatever. Set yourself some realistic goals. Then, if it is not resonating with you, buy a hoe and a piece of land. At least you will be able to say you gave it your best shot. Don

B

Ben Allen - O'Day 26

Learning Curve

Andres, Contact me via e-mail if you get a chance. benallen1@mindspring.com Ben Allen Montgomery, AL "Wahoo" OD 26

A

Andres Hill

ahoy or a hoe?

Whew! Ben, "any boat in a day"! Don, i'm going to put off any thoughts of a hoe. "wham" well placed and well taken! Phil, "perfect day........sails perfectly trimmed............slicing through the water w/out a sound....PERFECT! MAN, where did you guys come from?! yes, Ben, i'll contact you. thanks for the offer. i'm on the run right now, but i'll get to you early tamale morning. can't tell ya'll how i laughed, enjoyed, and am uplifted by your elevating responses. excellente y gracias sinceras. andrés hill 26' o'day

Status
Not open for further replies.