Intake Silencer

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda
What maintenance is required for the intake silencer? 05H41DS Yanmar 56hp 4JH4E
What's inside there?

Intake Silencer 1.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Check the archives for a 05H41DS Yanmar 56hp 4JH4E manual. I can only presume that's the air filter which does require some care and attention.

Now if that was mine, I'd have the hoses dis-connected and a borescope in there inside of a heart beat. But that's just me.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
That is a complete mystery. No filter device of any kind is mentioned or shown.

1653425083134.png

If the air in your boat were ever dirty enough to accumulate sufficient dirt to restrict the air flow through the intake manifold, you would have to be motoring in desert dust storms. If you are, Stop That :angry: !

It sounds like dirty air is being fed to the cylinders and life goes on :facepalm:. At least until you have ring sealing problems.

1653425290621.png

I wonder what the problem would be without the air silencer in place ? Is there some unknown filtration device in there after all ?

I know my comments here are as useful as a rubber crutch, but all I can see is to carefully remove the silencer/air filter and see what's in there. Please take pics if you can. This is actually quite interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda
It's just an empty hollow plastic jug. There was a little motor oil blow back in there.

thumbnail_IMG_0868.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0867.jpg

Jan 4, 2006
Read this through with the usual cautions about forums.

From what you've found with the removal of the box, if it were my engine, I'd be looking for a good quality (K&N) air filter. I know that the air filter on my little Yanmar 2GM20F acts as a MAJOR intake sound reducer when I run the engine without it. You may find the same with yours if you replace the empty bleach jug with a proper air filter. I think there's still a hose on the jug whose function is not clear.​
I choose to use an air filter primarily to eliminate any belt dust which always appears for a while after changing a belt.​

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Read this through with the usual cautions about forums.

From what you've found with the removal of the box, if it were my engine, I'd be looking for a good quality (K&N) air filter. I know that the air filter on my little Yanmar 2GM20F acts as a MAJOR intake sound reducer when I run the engine without it. You may find the same with yours if you replace the empty bleach jug with a proper air filter. I think there's still a hose on the jug whose function is not clear.​
I choose to use an air filter primarily to eliminate any belt dust which always appears for a while after changing a belt.​
My concern with convention al air filter is that when they start to break down with age, the engine will suck pieces of them. I don't think a diesel on a boat needs an air filter! A screen to prevent foreign particle ingestion is probably enough/. A non-restrictive silencer is good. The air's pretty clean on a boat.

Full disclosure, I'm a K&N skeptic/detractor.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
My concern with convention al air filter is that when they start to break down with age, the engine will suck pieces of them. I don't think a diesel on a boat needs an air filter! A screen to prevent foreign particle ingestion is probably enough/. A non-restrictive silencer is good. The air's pretty clean on a boat.

Full disclosure, I'm a K&N skeptic/detractor.
I wouldn't want a K&N air filter on my car because I think they don't filter all that well because they seem to be designed for low restriction of air intake. I do want something for a filter though. Since the boat doesn't live in a dusty environment and diesels want to breath I think the K&N's are a reasonable choice on the boat. They don't break down like the stock sponge ring filters on the Universal M series engines (at least on mine).

Jan 4, 2006
My concern with convention al air filter is that when they start to break down with age, the engine will suck pieces of them.
That's addressed with regular inspection and maint. of the air filter. Same as with a compressor, IC engine, or what have you.

The interior of the engine compartment on a sailboat is not as bad as on the road but I still prefer to filter my combustion air.

You have to keep i filled with DSF (diesel silencing fluid).
Can you provide your source of information for the DSF ? Can't see what it does for air inlet noise in the jug which @SV Bella has removed from his engine.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Can you provide your source of information for the DSF ? Can't see what it does for air inlet noise in the jug which @SV Bella has removed from his engine.
You generally buy it the same place you can purchase a tub of Relative Bearing Grease and also the outlet where they sell Waterline by the foot.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Holy cow! It was a joke. Like blinker fluid.

:)
Refill Blinker Fluid
I thought it was more like Lucas wiring harness smke replacement

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
K&N are good filters. They will do custom sizes for not too much money. 2GM20F silencer has a nothing screen and light foam which deteriorates and gets swallowed. Ordered a K&N custom size to fit in the silencer but it was not to be, my bad measure, so made this fitting out of 2@1/8" aluminum plates and some ss screws and nylocks. Don't hear an appreciable noise difference. Have to rework the installation but it filters better. No the screw does not hit the bulkhead, bad photo angle.

Attachments