Insurance while racing

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
If you race your boat, does your yacht club or racing organization require you to have liability insurance for your boat in order to participate? Thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you race your boat, does your yacht club or racing organization require you to have liability insurance for your boat in order to participate? Thanks.
Yes. And many regattas require proof of insurance. Liability insurance is relatively inexpensive, sailing without liability insurance whether racing or not just doesn't make much sense.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Many marinas require Liability Insurance to use the slips. I carry proof aboard always. My Liability on my 1961 footer is $100 year for $300,000 in coverage.
From Progressive

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Yes, both my yacht club and the area sailing association that runs races in our bay require the same liability coverage. From the application: "I assert that my yacht is insured and the insurance, with a liability minimum of $300,000, is in effect for the current racing season." We also must provide the coverage proof on-demand, but it's often done on the honor system. There's no requirement for hull or medical insurance as that's your dime.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Make sure there is no exclusion for racing. Many policies exclude coverage for boats while racing.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Yes, our club mandates liability insurance. Also, my policy does not mention racing at all.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
My club, and most keel boat regattas, require liability insurance to race. I'm on the Skippers Plan (very common in Canada) which excludes power boat racing but includes sailboat racing. I doubt there is much difference in claims between the average cruiser and the average racer.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Make sure there is no exclusion for racing. Many policies exclude coverage for boats while racing.
For the mobos. Typically a speed rating as well. Nothing more than 60kts.