Insurance Underwriter Hull Rating

Jul 2, 2020
Hunter 1982 Hunter 25 Frisco Bay Marina
We have a 1982 Hunter 25 and are trying to insure it with a 9.9 hp outboard. The insurance company insists there is a hull rating posted somewhere on the boat. I've given them the hull number but this isn't satisfactory. What is a hull rating and is it posted somewhere in the sailboat.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Who's the insurance company? Insurance companies are known for not really understanding what they are insuring. I looked it up. Hull rating defines the max persons, weight and engine horsepower. It is required in power boats under 20ft in length.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
That is a first. Are they requesting maximum capacity per USCG (if there is a nameplate on the boat), maximum hp (displacement divided by 550) or maximum hull speed (6.02 knots per Hunter 25 - Wikipedia ?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Who's the insurance company? Insurance companies are known for not really understanding what they are insuring. I looked it up. Hull rating defines the max persons, weight and engine horsepower. It is required in power boats under 20ft in length.
So @markwbird 's post got me curious. Yup! He's right.

Send this link to your insurance guy

Jan 19, 2010
I also found this...

If your boat does not have a capacity plate, the U.S. Coast Guard recommends the following formula for calculating maximum occupancy: multiply the boat's length times its width and divide by 15. For example, a 6-foot wide, 18-foot boat can carry up to seven people safely

I don't think this formula makes sense... using thsi formula I can hold 13.8 (round to 14) people on my Hunter 26.
NOT HAPPENING!:facepalm:

Jul 2, 2020
Hunter 1982 Hunter 25 Frisco Bay Marina
Thank you all for your comments. I have concluded that I need to switch to an insurance company that has more familiarity with insuring boats. It will be easier than convincing the underwriters that they are wrong.

Jan 19, 2010
Thank you all for your comments. I have concluded that I need to switch to an insurance company that has more familiarity with insuring boats. It will be easier than convincing the underwriters that they are wrong.
:facepalm: