Instruments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomlo

Jun 8, 2009
2 9.2A Superior
I would like to replace my instrument panel on my 9.2A so that I get tach, oil pressure, and temperature gauges. Has anyone had experience with that? The engine is a Yanmar 2QM15. I'm not finding much about panels that might work with that engine.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Simple way

The simplest way would be to just to add them below the panel. I looked at a 9.2A which had that modification (see attached...the boat is still for sale so I grabbed the photo from yachtworld). Be sure to use marine grade stuff or it might not stand up to the spray.

There are folks who will make a custom made panel for you, but it is probably easier to just canibalize your existing panel to make your own. Most of the stuff just bolts through the plastic panel you see. I'd replace what I could. I bought a new starter button last year for $20 and installed it in five minutes.

It really doesn't look like a big deal from the back. Just take some photos before you start and map out the wires. Use a piece of teak or buy a covered transom box from someone like SSI custom plastics and go to town. If you trace the idiot lights they likely go to locations where you can put the new transducers for your new gauges.

Attachments

Bomlo

Jun 8, 2009
2 9.2A Superior
Thanks for the link and ideas, Bob. Do you or others have suggestions on which manufacturers make the most reliable gauges?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sorry, but I have never bought any gauges for my boat. I suggest you post to "Ask All Sailors" on the main sailboatowners.com site.

Just a few more thoughts about installation. Personally, I'd go with mounting them in a recessed coaming box with a seal, or at least provide certainty of water protection. The surface mounted gauges in the 9.2A in my other post look pretty, but I doubt they will age very well in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.