Instruments on panel not working.

Jul 6, 2010
Catalina 30 Bainbridge Island, WA
Yesterday I installed two new batteries as one of the old one had become hot and blackish water was escaping three of the holes.
Now when I turn on the ignition key ,the instruments make a very small movement , but are not fully working. I hit the starter button and nothing happens.
Where do I start checking? I thought I'd ask first before I did something stupid.
Thanks,
Tom Wilson
Bainbridge island, WA

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Time to pull out the voltmeter and start tracing where the voltage issue is. Guessing isn't productive

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would start by retracing my steps of yesterday. Back when everything worked before the problem started.
  1. What did I do, disconnect, change before I decided to install new batteries?
  2. What did I disconnect/switch off to get the old batteries out?
  3. Did I bump any wires pulling the batteries out?
  4. Did I reconnect the new batteries properly to get 12V parallel back to the DC panel.
  5. :yikes: Or did I connect them in series and am pumping 24volts through the lines?
  6. Did I turn all the switches back on?
Once through the check list of my previous actions, I’d start with the ground wires and the Digital Volt Meter.

Fixing the things I break in the process of improving my boat is always a nightmare.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yesterday I installed two new batteries as one of the old one had become hot and blackish water was escaping three of the holes.
Now when I turn on the ignition key ,the instruments make a very small movement , but are not fully working. I hit the starter button and nothing happens.
Where do I start checking? I thought I'd ask first before I did something stupid.
Thanks,
Tom Wilson
Bainbridge island, WA
Post a photo of the battery hookup…

Greg