Installing turning blocks, oday 272LE

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
I'm about to drill through the top of my cabin to install three turning blocks, near the base of the mast. In drilling, am I likely to be drilling through anything other than wood and fiberglass? This is a 1987 O'Day 272LE.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Wood and fiberglass sounds about right for an Oday. Maybe foam instead of wood, but same concept. You should over drill the holes, fill with thickened epoxy, then drill the right size. That way any water that gets past the outer skin won’t rot the core.

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
It would seem to me that there's at least some risk of a weaker installation because you lose the homogeneous nature of the original fiberglass/plywood layup because of the weaker bond between the epoxy and the original layup. Agreed, the risk of moisture remains. I'm just worried about diminished pullout strength. Thoughts?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
For something like a turning block you’ll want a backing plate or adequate washer to spread the load anyway. That will distribute the pulling force out over the existing core, if you’re worried about the plug.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
Somewhere on the market there is a base-plate that fits under the mast. It is pre-drilled so you can put lots of blocks for turning. I think the mast is stepped on deck.