Installing the Transducer for an Axiom 9

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I just bought the Axiom 9 with the remote transducer (which was free). It seems like it was designed for a motor boat where the transom sits in the water. My transom is fully above the water line and this makes the installation tricky. I guess sailboats were supposed to buy the $800 transducer that mounts on the hull under water, but I'd like to try and use this one.

Attachments

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Mike is this one you could put in a silicone or epoxy "bath" and have it work? Can you put water in a ziplock very full and put the transducer on it to have it shoot through hull and test?

Jan 22, 2008
Mike is this one you could put in a silicone or epoxy "bath" and have it work? Can you put water in a ziplock very full and put the transducer on it to have it shoot through hull and test?
I used to have a depth sounder in a plastic bubble. not sure of these new Sounders that provide 3D imaging rather than just depth.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do not know either... But what would it hurt to give it a try. If you learn not then you can always pull the boat and install in under the water.

You might find that it will contribute drag while under your boat. Do you really need 3D underwater imaging? Being free what does it owe you? If you can get depth from the unit in a bag of water perhaps you are all good and do not need to buy something more.

Jan 22, 2008
I
Do you really need 3D underwater imaging? Being free what does it owe you? If you can get depth from the unit in a bag of water perhaps you are all good and do not need to buy something more.
I sail on the Chesapeake and like to go into the little rivers and coves so having a 3D view would be helpful. I may just try to put it on the end of a long pole off the stern and see if I really like it or not. If so, I may upgrade to the unit designed for hull mounting rather than transom mounting.

drew-

Mar 27, 2020
hunter 34 Southern Maryland
I purchased a garmin chartplotter that came with a similar piece of kit. I tried to using a wax ring in the v birth and under the port settee with no luck. I also tried using the water bag as well as silicone to no avail. Probably 3 hours of clean up between all the places I tried to stick it. What a mess. I keep it as a spare because it can easily be secured to a pole and put on the front of the boat if my poorly lit datamarine s200dl ever gives up the ghost and I am in a shallow location. Not sure how so many people have had success with epoxy and wax ring installations. Might be that the newer units have a more advanced and sensitive signal that doesnt easily penetrate the hull.

Oct 22, 2014
Might be that the newer units have a more advanced and sensitive signal that doesnt easily penetrate the hull.
This may be true. But the transducer design is one of the most recent tech. It uses a more complex structure with transmit and dislocated responses sensors to create a 3D representation of the floor beneath you. This maybe the reason it does not function as a thru the hull unit.

More likely the transducer will need to be in the water, under the boat to get a 3D function.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That the CHIRP sonar transducer which can not penetrate the hull, since it is multi-frequency.

I explored that using that on my Raymarine MFD.

A simple solution is to make a float that trails the transducer behind your boat.;)

The bottom of the transducer must be in the water.

But...

1) The sonar scan is behind your path
2) I suspect the depth of water is key to real information.
3) I am not sure about interfering turbulence from Prop wash.

I will install mine with this year when I take my boat out of water, but it is for a sailboat.
This one is...
RealVision 3D Transducers for Axiom & Axiom Pro Multifunction Displays | Raymarine

Jim...

PS: The part number is RV-200 Bronze. That link shows all of them.
PSS: A sailboat on a heel will not be accurate.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
PSS: A sailboat on a heel will not be accurate.
Oh so true.
Ever wonder how does a submarine do sonar? They are constantly changing their attitude in the water.

Multiple sensors and transducers sending and receiving signals filtered by computers. That would be my guess.

If the underwater picture is needed on your sailboat, I suspect you could employ a similar setup. Perhaps 3 transducers would do the trick. One in the bow just ahead of the keel, and one on each side of the keel. Then you would likely need a gyro scope to account for the heel of the boat. It could trigger a micro switch to cycle through the transducers based on the boats heel angle in the water. Then only the optimal return signal for depth, without angular distortion would be displayed on your MFD.

It is a concept idea.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When I was installing my RM instruments I asked RM tech on their forum about using a transom mount transducer mounted in the hull. Their response was the transom mounts were not built with the power to penetrate the hull.

I guess sailboats were supposed to buy the $800 transducer that mounts on the hull under water, but I'd like to try and use this one.
For sailboats all you really need is depth readings. The D800/P17 Depth transducer provides depth and temp and can be bought for about $80.00.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
if the transducer is mounted on the hull exterior forward of the keel, it will provide a 3D view and depth immediately ahead. The angle of heel will be naturally accommodated since you will orient yourself to the vertical and look at the screen at an angle, besides, are you really going to be sailing fast where depth is an issue?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
People asked me why a sailboat needed 3D scan.
My answer...
1) Drift fishing
2) Scuba diving
3) Wreckage definition
_____
Depth on any sonar type "fish finder"
1) the deeper the water, the more scan is taken. [think of a landlubber ceiling spotlight shining down]
2) Angle does not make much difference
3) Accuracy is less, as the depth increases.
4) Temperature layers and turbidity of water can confuse sonar.

3D Sonar need multi-frequency and computer technology to define a "picture" of the target.
Jim...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I just bought the Axiom 9 with the remote transducer (which was free).
Mike, you mention 3D would be nice. Be sure the Axiom 9 you bought supports Real Vision 3D. Some only support Down Vision Chirp Sonar.
The lowest priced Axiom 9 supports DV Chirp Sonar ($1099) but doesn't include the transducer.
There's an Axiom 9 that supports RV 3D but includes a DV Chirp Sonar ($1599).
Just to complicate things the ads all tout that LH3 supports RV 3D, even if the unit only supports DV Chirp Sonar.

Raymarine sure likes to complicate things with their descriptions and multiple choices and offering the same unit with different software for different capabilities.

PS: I love my Axiom 7 with i70 instruments.

• Helpful