Installing solar vent on H26

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
I want to install this vent

Solar vent

I have a Hunter 26 and don't like the idea of cutting through the roof. My best option so far is to install it through the front hatch which is really just an easily replaceable piece of acrylic.

The vent has a mounting depth of 2.75 inches. The hatch is only about 0.5 inch thick. What would be the best way to take up that extra space so the vent mounted securely?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't have a good answer to your question but the P.O. put a solar vent on my H26. I think @Crazy Dave Condon might have actually done the install. Here is a pic. If you decide to go this route instead, I can take measurements for you.

Personally, I would worry about leaks around the curved surface of the hatch.

2018-05-31 18.50.37.jpg

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
Thanks for the reply. And that is a nice companionway cover. Where did you get it?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
don't like the idea of cutting through the roof.
It is a boat. If you are going to "Upgrade" her you got to cut a hole or two.
Just close your eyes... Have a friend position the drill and then you pull the trigger. It is like pulling teeth. It is over in a few seconds....

So you do not crack the gel coat. start the drill in reverse for a bit. It will move the hole through the gel coat and then you can drill forward no problem

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
put some blue tape down over the cutting track area. the turn speed should be slow. dont lean on it hard, let the teeth do the work. if you go fast you get hot and the plastic lens melts. when I put my solar in the mid cabin hatch (H28.5) i got an underside "doughnut" about 1.5.to 2 inch thick from the mfg to pick up the slack.

bmorr

Apr 5, 2009
Hunter 26 Pueblo Lake CO
Don't under estimate the replacement cost of that curved front hatch. I had to replace mine and was a bit surprised at the cost.