Installing reef points on main sail.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
I considered adding a 2nd reef point to my stock oday 222 w/ fractional rig. This summer I sailed in more wind than before, sometimes because it "snuck up on me" and sometimes by design. So far it seems that when mainsail has 1 (the only) reef in and jib up and wind starts to over power boat (pushing 20) I can drop the jib and boat comes back into control. Waves knocking the bow seem to be more of the control problem than the wind. Fractional rigs, keel type, and hull shape from boat to boat need lots of exploring.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
If you have a local sail maker in the area get a quote on double reefs points and compare it to do it yourself. I'm not handy at sewing stuff. I had ours done by a loft in So Cal.

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
Lots of good advice here but the experienced m25 sailors know what you are up against. Buy a new main with the reef point you want. A mac will heel less if the sail is not stretched out. Don't spend money on a used stretched sail. New sail will perform better.

I sailed a m25 for alot of years. My boat had the OEM infinite reef boom. wrap the main around the boom. Work well enough. Surprised your boat does not have it.

remember ya'll it's a m25.........
At 35mph and up you will not want the main out. Just some jib unrolled. And if beating upwind leave the outboard running if you gonna try to point high.........

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
My M25 has the boom rolling reef. But it is a pain to use and I'm thinking of an upgrade. I may wait one more year and replace the main instead of installing a reef point. Thanks for all the replies.

Jan 31, 2013
MacGregor Mac26X Trailer sailing for adventure,
My M25 has the boom rolling reef. But it is a pain to use and I'm thinking of an upgrade. I may wait one more year and replace the main instead of installing a reef point. Thanks for all the replies.
Add a line from the top of the mast, with a clip on the other end to hold the the end of boom up when rolling the main up. I put a pulley up there and looped the other end to stern rail so I could adjust up out of the way when at anchor too. Don't add lazy jacks as they will interfere with rolling boom........And the new main will reduce the heel of the boat..... Adjust the mast rake to minimize weather helm. Try the cheapest stuff first.

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
where r U? Charlotte bay? I'll be trailer sailing adventuring with the 26x on the gulf January.
That was a post I made two years ago when I took the Mac to Florida and then the Bahamas and yes I started from the boat yard (Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage) where the Endeavour is. Dottie and I arrived back here last Thursday but without the Mac. Staying and working on the Endeavour. The hope that is by Feb. to maybe have her in the water but lots to do before that happens. Check in if you are near,

Sumner
==============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I use the rolling set up. Works well enough. Not easy when underway however. Smallest jib, and the main reefed to the spreaders is a great configuration. Pointing at all with the V25 with just the head sail is not easy.

I wouldn't advise 35 plus. Although I had the fortune, could have been misfortune of getting blasted by a squall with 50 plus. I have a recount of the adventure on out website.

http://www.ne-ts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=452.

The main was reefed to the spreaders. The small working jib blew out almost as soon as the blast hit. Surprisingly and with total concentration I managed to keep her moving with out a stall. I knew that if the boat stalled I would lose the rig. For 20 minutes the wind stayed constant with lightening and rain. Jib flapping with the lines swinging in a ball. Talk about scary!! But she made it. When the torrent subsided enough to talk we realized we were doing 11.5 knots over ground! For the next 45 minutes we cranked between 11 and 8.5 knots. That was with the main alone. The sea was on the windward stern quarter and built to 8 feet. I researched the buoy data. It was the most beautiful yet scary experience I have ever had. Could have turned out a lot worse and I had resigned to the fact that all I could do was hang on and go for the ride. Funny how things slow down and you find a strange resolve.

Anyway these are tough boats and I have had a total blast and proud to be part of this forum. Still roller reefing!

Ken Boutiette
CMDRE
North East Trailer Sailor Yacht Club

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
5.0 coastal cruising main sail last season from BWY was $695.00 with 2 reef points. first reef has seen plenty of use, but haven't needed the 2nd yet. Well worth the $ . They normally keep these in stock for the 25, and ship out the next day.