Installing reef points on main sail.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
I'm going to be mooring my 25 this summer for the first time so I'm starting to think about adding lazy jack lines and reefing points on my main. Has anyone added reef points to their main sail themselves or should I pay a loft to do it for me? (Sorry but I'm cheap) I'm planning on adding two reef points. Could someone also take a measurement of where your reef points are located on your main? Thank you for all the great help and information. This is always the first stop for information on my Macgregor.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Check out Sailrite.com. Great prices on everything you'll need, and they're happy to give advice. They have about 1500 videos available showing how to do projects like this. Adding reef points is pretty easy and any decent home sewing machine should handle it. Don't know about the spacing for your boat, but Sailrite should have the measurements.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
If I may ask, without officially hijacking the thread, has anyone put a set of reef points between the original factory ones and the foot? I remember reading that someone complained that the factory reef points were too far from the foot and were more like where a second reef point would be, that they affected performance too much. Just curious...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
If I may ask, without officially hijacking the thread, has anyone put a set of reef points between the original factory ones and the foot? I remember reading that someone complained that the factory reef points were too far from the foot and were more like where a second reef point would be, that they affected performance too much. Just curious...
Our original, old sails, had two reef points and we, being chickens, always went to the second one if we reefed. Bob who use to be on here, now owns a big boat, put us on to Martin at Somerset Sails and said he only got one higher reef put in so when we ordered sails from Martin we did the same and so far I'm happy with that. Martin also said that if we weren't happy to send the sails back and he would put the second one in at no charge. Haven't done that and won't.

If you are a cruiser and not a racer trying to get the last 1/4 knot out of the boat I think one would be happy with one set of reef points. I've never measured ours against the old sails so don't know if they are quite as high as the second reef point on those sails or not.

I'll also add that having the sail pack and the single line reefing has sure made the reefing...

faster and much easier than it was with the original...

sails.

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Jun 24, 2010
Reefing

Looks like the Jiffy reefing kit is for boats under 22' so I may need to look at a different system. Sumner could you measure how far up from the foot your reef points are whenever you get a chance to get out on the water? I think I may just go with the single point reef. I love all the great work you have done on your boat. Thanks for all the replies.

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Call Sailrite they will make up a kit for larger boats, they didnforn my M25 and I was very pleased with it.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... Sumner could you measure how far up from the foot your reef points are whenever you get a chance to get out on the water?..
If I don't get back to you here or with a PM in 2 weeks remind me. Once on the water Internet will be when it happens and I won't be able to get the sail up until then. I'm going to have to put in with the mast down as I have to go under a low bridge and then will have it up but hopefully gone from here where I have wifi all the time although I should be able to post with the phone if I remember :redface:,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Jun 24, 2010
Reefing

No rush on taking the measurement for the reef point. I still have about 5 feet of snow to deal with. I may not get to the reef points and jack lines this year. This is the first year I've moored so I need to take care of barrier paint, bottom paint and a cover for the headsail furler first. Only so much money in the budget.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
The main on my 25 has only one reef point. When in use it brought the head of the mainsail down to where the forestay attaches to the mast (this was when I had the stock rig setup). So if looking at the boat when reefed, the main and jib are the same height, like a masthead rig. I use this single reef point and a 70% jib with good results in the 20 plus wind range.

Jun 24, 2010
Reef point.

I think I will go with the single reef at a point on the sail that will put the main about even with the jib. That should keep the cost down and will be better than having to use the boom to reef anymore. Thanks again folks for all the great replies.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
That's an interesting issue. When reefing, I would think that there must be some rough formula for how many square feet of sail one should reef out under certain wind conditions? That number would govern how many inches above the foot one would want to locate the reef point(s). Or maybe there are so many variables at play that a rough estimate in inches is just as good.

Jun 10, 2013
macgregor 22 Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Same question but for a 22

I was trying to make it more complicated as well thinking... f ' (x) dx-f (b)=f (a)
instead of how far up from the foot. So if anyone is reading this and has a Mac 22 with one reef, and you sail in sometimes 20mph+ how far up from the foot??.. and are you happy with it? I was getting ready to install it myself but a sailmaker here in town (Tulsa) said he would install them for $100

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I was trying to make it more complicated as well thinking... f ' (x) dx-f (b)=f (a)
instead of how far up from the foot. So if anyone is reading this and has a Mac 22 with one reef, and you sail in sometimes 20mph+ how far up from the foot??.. and are you happy with it? I was getting ready to install it myself but a sailmaker here in town (Tulsa) said he would install them for $100
I was quoted $250 for a second set for Mac 25. I thought it was way too steep. $100 sounds like a bargain.

Aug 31, 2013
Hunter 26 Saylorville-Des Moines
I'd request a clarification from a sailmaker just for my knowledge... Do battens get installed perpendicular to the mast and reef points parallel to the foot? Because they are not the same thing, right?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'd request a clarification from a sailmaker just for my knowledge... Do battens get installed perpendicular to the mast and reef points parallel to the foot? Because they are not the same thing, right?
That's a tricky question but I think the answer is 'yes' to the sailmaker and 'maybe' to yours. I would think it would be standard knowledge to a sailmaker.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was thinking the same thing about my main. Maybe it's technique. I usually have my headsail furled all they way if I reef so I feel underpowered. Maybe the headsail should be partially unfurled too? Then I would need to switch to the inboard fairleads.I need to try it this season. High winds are pretty common here in Oz.

Dec 7, 2016
Alberg Several Seattle
That's an interesting issue. When reefing, I would think that there must be some rough formula for how many square feet of sail one should reef out under certain wind conditions? That number would govern how many inches above the foot one would want to locate the reef point(s). Or maybe there are so many variables at play that a rough estimate in inches is just as good.
That's an interesting idea. Do you think the sail area has anything to do with the amount of power in the sail? I mean, I always thought reef points were just put in where ever the sailmaker thought they looked best and made their sail stand out, like their signature. With an engine who reefs anyway, there's no need.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I was thinking the same thing about my main. Maybe it's technique. I usually have my headsail furled all they way if I reef so I feel underpowered. Maybe the headsail should be partially unfurled too? Then I would need to switch to the inboard fairleads.I need to try it this season. High winds are pretty common here in Oz.
You may find it also has to do with your course. Beating, more main is nice, but reaching or going deep, more jib is more stable. Main alone in a real blow and you may find that a gust and wave at the same time make you round up. Off the wind I commonly reef the main but still use a full genoa. Fast and stable. When I need to turn around, I reef the genoa, leave the main alone, and again, I have the right amount of sail and perfect balance. Hint: roll up the genoa while you are still headed down wind, blanketed by the main.