Installing Raymarine navigation instruments

Nov 4, 2019
Islander Mark II St. Helens OR
Hi, has anyone been able to install a Raymarine Evolution autopilot, Raymarine Axiom Pro display cables down the pedestal? We are having a very difficult time routing the cables down the pedestal due to the very limited room. I would hate to have all the cables exposed on the outside of the pedestal. Any suggestions? I would appreciate your help...
Thanks, "us do-it-your-selfers". boat owners...Nicole and Craig

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Ww have the e-7 system.. All cables fit into a std pedestal guard. However, a club mate who liked my set up also went with Raymarine. He went with the Axion and hired the work done. They found it necessary to install a new guard with a slightly larger inside diameter. Perhaps you could find such a guard at a marine 2nd hand yard or online..In any event, make sure that where ever cables and wire exits the guard that you surround it with LOOM.

Nov 4, 2019
Hi Dennis, sorry...it is a 1988 Hunter Legend 37.5. We were able to get a lead rope thru the pedestal but there is no way all the cables (chart plotter, radar, actuator, etc) will fit thru that one open hole in the bottom of the pedestal. The only way I see it working is to drill a hole towards the bottom of the pedestal (going out the side of the pedestal). The cable for the compass light, transmission, and throttle occludes the entire hole on the starboard side and cables run thru all the other bottom holes except one we were able to snake a line through.

Thanks sailme88...our guard actually attaches to the pedestal vs. the deck and we are planning on making an extension for it which means it has to be 1in in diameter.

Cheers, Nicole

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So Nicole, You have given the Islander to a new home and now are enjoying the joys of remodeling a Hunter. Oh Boy for you.

Oct 22, 2014
Refitting a mature boat with new gadgets can sometimes be a challenge. The difference between a 1988 and a 2008 is often the design recognition that the older design did not consider all of the new gadgets to be used by modern man.

Pictures help to fuel the juices of us refitters of old boats. We sometimes can see a different path that may or may not meet with your esthetics. That's why it is your boat your call.

Nov 4, 2019
Hi John, Actually, we still have the Islander...no interest from our ad what-so-ever and with all the work we did on it!! Since we have gotten zero interest, we may keep it as a second home in the northwest and have the Hunter sailing further south (which is why all the electronic upgrades:)). Yes, I agree...we are having to be very creative in fitting an older boat, especially one that never had any electronics on it besides a VHF radio and depth gauge!
Here's to the wind in our sails...cheers, Nicole

Oct 22, 2014
Nice to have a couple of homes. I think sometimes. You up on the Columbia river in the Portland area?

There are arguments for placing you navigation hardware on the cabin deck under the Dodger instead of exposed at the helm.

I am still considering all the implications. I have most of my display in the cabin at the nav-station. I am using a laptop as my navigation system. I repeat the data using wifi to a phone and iPad that I can attach to the binnacle guard for guidance at the helm. Only wire I needed to thread up to the helm was the power lead to the motor on the wheel autopilot. With your boat you'll likely use a below deck autopilot powered system, not even requiring that.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Hi Dennis, sorry...it is a 1988 Hunter Legend 37.5. We were able to get a lead rope thru the pedestal but there is no way all the cables (chart plotter, radar, actuator, etc) will fit thru that one open hole in the bottom of the pedestal. The only way I see it working is to drill a hole towards the bottom of the pedestal (going out the side of the pedestal). The cable for the compass light, transmission, and throttle occludes the entire hole on the starboard side and cables run thru all the other bottom holes except one we were able to snake a line through.

Thanks sailme88...our guard actually attaches to the pedestal vs. the deck and we are planning on making an extension for it which means it has to be 1in in diameter.

Cheers, Nicole
Not familiar with the pedestal on your boat. On my 410 the previous owner and I installed a lot of cables under the deck by the quadrant and drilled holes in the bottom. No way all my cables would go through the original channel. I goop the holes with 5200 and never had any leaks.

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
When I did my Raymarine upgrade, I also installed a new bent 1" tube from factory. I had to use both legs of stand to get all cables in , including backbone and power. Worked very well

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Technically, u only need to run 1 cable through the pedestal. Once at the gauges, u can split (network) from there. Good luck!