Installing Radar wiring on Hunter 356

Feb 14, 2010
Hunter 356 Maple Bay
Just about to install Raymarine Radar on the mast on my 2003 Hunter 356. Mast wiring should be OK, but how do I "fish" the radar cable across the cabin ceiling to eventually end up at the Nav station. No in-roof conduit or draw-strings.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Run the wiring down low. You'll have more options. You can keep it up high through the bilge, under settee seats, behind seat backs or inside cabinets.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Are you sure there is no conduit? How did they run the mast lights and vhf antenna?

Feb 14, 2010
Hunter 356 Maple Bay
Run the wiring down low. You'll have more options. You can keep it up high through the bilge, under settee seats, behind seat backs or inside cabinets.
Still need to get from Mast step access in ceiling of main cabin to electrical panel. Mast step is in the middle of the dinette.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm trying to remember, on my 356, how this was. But I think the wires led above the headliner from the buss bars under the mast step. I don't remember any entry hole to the compression post under the deck or exits in the bilge area. My remembrance is that the radar/mast wires entered a conduit that coursed above the headliner to the port side where the electric panel is. Of course you have to remove the wood trim piece around the compression post to access the buss bar area. I only did this once when the mast was to be dropped so ... If there is no conduit maybe you can use a plumbers snake to course over the headliner and pick up the end on the port side behind the headliner there and bring the wires to the panel. As far as the low path, I agree there is a problem since the compression post is in the middle of the dinette with no obvious low path to the bilge.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Not sure because the dealer did the install but take panel at top of the mast support
and than snake wire in headliner over to the main panel and if radar chartplotter at helm
and than along port side there should be pvc pipe for wire to run to stern and than up
into stainless helm pipe and than into chartplotter,left side pipe only for running wires to chartplotter.
nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I just looked up the wiring diagram on my 356 Manual and I know the lines are behind the headliner and go over to the panel. It doesn't show conduit above the headliner. I know all my wires run that way, but I don't think there is a conduit to run in. I think they put wiring harnesses in before the headliner went on for the mast light to a terminal block. When mine was commissioned my wind instrument, VHF and radar went in but I believe they took down the headliner in that area. There are terminal blocks for connecting the mast wires located above the wood panel. Make sure you fully seal the side wire holes once you get all the wires out to the mast. If you don't you will get some leaks.

Attachments

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
yeah, no conduit but it's an easy fish. take down the wood cover on the top of the compression post - your cables need to be split there - it's the underside of the deck box - so you can pull the mast. above the outboard corner of the nav station is an opening in the wood to give access to the nav station. I find it easier to use a fish tape from the mast, diagonally aft and outboard - the fish should be reachable above the corner above the hard headliner. hook a trace line to the fish and pull it back to the mast. remove the nav panel and from inside run the fish tape up until you can find it above the hard liner. hook the end of your trace line to the fish and pull it into the nav station. now you can use the trace line to pull the radar wiring from the compression post top all the way into the nav station.
There is a conduit inside the settees - port side, but there's no reason to use it here.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I guessing you will have the Radar at the helm hooked up to your chartplotter,
not much good having radar at the nav station.
That is why the conduit in the port locker to run wire back to helm ?????.
Nick

Mar 20, 2004
yeah, but... the conduit in the lazarette goes forward to the cabintop aft bulkhead and then there's a break - not lined up with the conduit behind the head and medicine cabinet. at the forward end of that conduit there's another vertical gap into the nav station. you can run through that passage but it's a bear. at the aft end of the lazarettte the conduit leads thru the seat edge then there's a plastic conduit under the steering cover that leads to the pedastel

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
Not sure if Hunter or PO installed a messenger line in the conduit tube from the lazarette to the wall behind the chart table and panel area, but once I got the wire fed through the rest of the wires it went well.

Ran a new Raymarine EV-100 wheel pilot from pedestal to lazarette to a new new circuit breaker in the panel. At present have an older Garmin chart plotter but am looking at the Raymarine Radar Chart plotter package to integrate into the system. Did you also update the chart plotter and if so which model did you go with? What mast mount did you choose? If installed are you happy with the outcome?

Thanks,
Jeff
s/v LeagaSea
2003 Hunter 356
Middle River, MD

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The new Raymarine Quantum Radar's are wireless - so you typically only need power - so it may make sense to go to the Nav station (if that is where your panel is) rather than the helm. The previous generation took power + Ethernet - again it depends on how your boat network is run - where you should run the wires to.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My 2007 H-36 I have 2 pvc pipe that run from the main electrical panel all the way
back to the lower part of the stern locker.
Nick

Mar 20, 2004
I converted to Navico (Simrad) and NMEA 2000 because I got fed u p with Raymarine constantly obsoleting the previous year's systems. I set up a 12" NX-45 at the helm with a broadband radar on a stern pole, then added a Lowrance hds-5 at the nav station. Added the Navico Ethernet switch and wifi to integrate my onboard ipad and have been really happy with their performance. Still running my original Raymarine St-4000 plus autopilot with gyrocompass/computer and wireless remote.
Time permitting, I plan to work on a NMEA0183 to NMEA 2000 bridge so I can command the autopilot from the chartplotter but that's a hobby project, not really needed. Also added a Simrad VHF and wireless remote as a second full power VHF and backup AIS.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I still have all my Raymarine electronics since 2007 and been very happy with my
C-80 chartplotter,Autopilot,Radar and ST Depth,Speed,Wind and have a Tablet with Navionics but to be honest my C-80 does everything I need and all at the helm.
I guess I have been very lucky everything has been working fine.
Nick

Apr 21, 2014
Know this is an old thread but it is relevant to a point as I am installing a Raymarine Radar on a Seaview mount.
Boat has a In Mast Furling Seldon mast and reading the manual it states that forward facing electrical installations be installed mid mast, ie radar and deck lights in my case, should be run in the front of the mast and held in place by the Ethafoam pad to eliminate slapping.
Question is where is your wiring exits on the mast, on the side tapping into the top to bottom conduits or in the front like referenced in the manual. Ince the wires are to the deck I am good getting to the panel as I just need power.
Any help is appreciated.
Jeff

Mar 20, 2004
Under the headliner from the wooden access plate is really the only way. The stock wiring goes diagonally aft to the outer corner over the nav station, than down behind the rigid plastic edge surround. Hunter did install a blue plastic conduit through the hard parts but you probably will have to drop the headliner - it's tight. I pulled out my old analog raymarine radar cable but it was a real bear - one inch at a time. If it's a new radar with a thin ethernet cable you might be able to go from the mast straight across to the port side and then along the hull to the nav station, but it's very tight where you cross

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I think my radar cable goes from post wood plate to the corner over the nav station remove plastic trim corner headliner and with fiberglass stick snake I got from HD they screw each 4’ sections.
Nick

Apr 21, 2014
Thanks Nick, think I could be good with the inside cable / wire routing.
My main issue is where the cable run on the mast should go from just above the 1st spreader to the bottom of the mast. I see in the Seldon manual that there looks to be 2 top to bottom conduit runs. It mentioned if mid mast electrical wiring drill in the front and run under the foam (hope it's there). Just curious where your cable exit points are on the mast, front or side.
Jeff