installing mast steps on H31

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Hi all.

I am installing mast steps on my h31. They are aluminum and the total weight added is 12lbs.

Does this seem ridiculous for a 31’ boat?

I don’t trust the running rig and even one I replace it my wife is 80lbs and there is no way she is going to get my F.. A.. up the mast. Haha!

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Thanks Kloudie1,

I like the ascenders. The article from westmarine was quite good.

I like the idea of steps because of the security. They are fixed and solid. I had thought to run a line down the outside edge to keep things from getting tangled.

Ultimately I want something safe and easy.

Thanks again, both articles were a good read.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
My Hunter came with them. I can be up to the top in minutes using my main halyard as a belay with a prussics. It gives me alot of comfort being able to. Mine have thin cables running on the outer edges of them with each one secured to it. I have not had any rigging problems.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Mast steps make climbing up the mast easy and safe. The issue is that they look ugly and if you think about it, you do not need to go up the mast that often to justify the ugly look. I would inspect my mast head, replace the lights with LEDs, minimize chafe and then hope to not to have to climb the mast for another five years. I do climb up to the first spreader more often (I switch radars often for fun, spreader light, etc.) but climbing up to the first spreaders on a H31 is easy and quick, no steps required. I use ascenders and a 3:1 purchase to do it myself.