Installing extra cleats on a MacGregor 26M mast

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Tally's question is a good one and should enter into the decision, but...

Obviously, within the range that you can comfortably and safely access when standing at the mast. I would recommend no higher than eye level and no lower than waist level.

You should carefully consider how much and which direction they should be offset from other cleats so as to avoid interference from other halyards when making off or undoing.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
My stock location is just about waist high or higher. I actually liked the lower location that my V25 had. I could sit and cleat or uncleat if the weather demanded it. I would sit and straddle the mast to stay on the deck. Crawl back if I had to. The m is much more tippy and unstable. I would almost like to lower the stock mounting points.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
My stock location is just about waist high or higher. I actually liked the lower location that my V25 had. I could sit and cleat or uncleat if the weather demanded it. I would sit and straddle the mast to stay on the deck. Crawl back if I had to. The m is much more tippy and unstable. I would almost like to lower the stock mounting points.
That sounds like a good candidate for halyards led to the cockpit. I single-hand a lot and constantly worried what would happen if I fell overboard. On my 26S, basic setup is a tad awkward and takes some getting used to after the relative simplicity of working at the mast, but it's far safer staying in the cockpit.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
That sounds like a good candidate for halyards led to the cockpit. I single-hand a lot and constantly worried what would happen if I fell overboard. On my 26S, basic setup is a tad awkward and takes some getting used to after the relative simplicity of working at the mast, but it's far safer staying in the cockpit.
I agree! Next project.